Eric Kluitenberg on Thu, 4 Nov 2010 22:21:19 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-nl] Economies of the Commons 2 - Final Program - Hilversum & Amsterdam, November 11-13, 2010.

geachte nettime-nl'ers,

Bijgaand het definitief programma van de Economies of the Commons conferentie en neven-evenementen, 11 t/m 13 november in het Mediapark Hilversum en De Balie, Amsterdam. Een mooie gelegenheid om de stand van zaken rond open content en publieke verdienmodellen kritisch tegen het licht te houden met een illuster internationaal gezelschap - dus mis dit niet!
( www.ecommons.eu )

vriendelijke groet,
Eric

---------------------

A  N  N  O  U  N  C  E  M  E  N  T

Economies of the Commons 2
                     -
Paying the costs of making things free

* * *  FINAL  PROGRAM  * * *

International conference, seminar and public evening programs

Amsterdam & Hilversum
November 11 – 13, 2010

www.ecommons.eu

Economies of the Commons 2 is a critical examination of the economics of on-line public domain and open access resources of information, knowledge, and media (the ‘digital commons’). The past 10 years have seen the rise of a variety of such open content resources attracting millions of users, sometimes on a daily basis. The impact of projects such as Wikipedia, Images of the Future, and Europeana testify to the vibrancy of the new digital public domain. No longer left to the exclusive domains of digital ‘insiders’, open content resources are rapidly becoming widely used and highly popular.

While protagonists of open content praise its low-cost accessibility and collaborative structures, critics claim it undermines the established “gate keeping” functions of authors, the academy, and professional institutions while lacking a reliable business model of its own. Economies of the Commons 2 provides a timely and crucial analysis of sustainable economic models that can promote and safeguard the online public domain. We want to find out what the new hybrid solutions are for archiving, access and reuse of on-line content that can both create viable markets and serve the public interest in a competitive global 21st century information economy.

Economies of the Commons 2 consists of an international seminar on Open Video hosted by the Netherlands Institute for Sound and Vision on November 11 in Hilversum, a two day international conference and two public evening programs on November 12 and 13 at De Balie, centre for culture and politics in Amsterdam. The event builds upon the successful Economies of the Commons conference organised in April 2008.

Organisers:

Images for the Future Consortium / Kennisland (Knowledgeland) / De Balie / Netherlands Institute for Sound and Vision / Institute of Network Cultures / University of Amsterdam, Department of New Media

PROGRAM OVERVIEW:

THURSDAY NOVEMBER 11

Pre-Conference Seminar: Open Video Conference Europe
Venue: Mediacentrum, Sumatralaan 45 (Media Park), Hilversum

10.00 - 11.00
Plenary keynotes:
Ben Moskowitz (Open Video Alliance)
Peter B. Kaufman (Intelligent Television)

11.15 - 13.00
Plenary Presentations of Relevant Projects
Michael Dale (Wikimedia Foundation) – Video on Wikipedia
Jamie King (VODO) – Promoting and Distributing Creative Works Using P2P
Dolf Veenvliet (Blender Foundation) – Open Movie Projects and Software
Frans Ward (Surfnet) – Open Video in Education
Bram Tullemans (NPO) – Online Video for Dutch Public Broadcasting

13.00 - 14.00
Lunch break

14.00 - 1600
Parallel Working Groups:

1. Video on Wikipedia
Moderators: Ben Moskowitz & Michael Dale

2. Open Distribution Models for Broadcasting
Moderator: Peter B. Kaufman & Paul Keller

16.15 - 17.00
Closing discussion and closing remarks

Admission free - reservation required due to limited seating.
Send an e-mail to: ian.van.riel@balie.nl

------------

FRIDAY NOVEMBER 12

Economies of the Commons 2 Conference - Day 1
Venue: De Balie, Amsterdam

10.30 – 11.00
Doors open

11.00 – 11.15
Welcome and introduction to the conference:
Eric Kluitenberg (De Balie)

11.15 – 12.00
Conference Keynote Address: Constructing a Commons-Based Digital Infrastructure
Charlotte Hess, Associate Dean for Research, Collections, & Scholarly Communication, Syracuse University, and internationally renown commons theorist.
http://library.syr.edu/about/people/staffbio/Hess_Charlotte.php

12.00 - 12.30 Invited responses and discussion:
With: Joost Poort, SEO Economic Researcher on the market structure and regulation of infrastructures
http://www.seo.nl

12.30 – 13.30
Lunch break

13.30 – 15.30
Critique of the ‘Free and Open’

Speakers

Yann Moulier Boutang, University of Technology of Compiègne, editor of Quarterly French Review MULTITUDES.
Sustainablility of Free and Open: from Terra Nullius to the new Commons

Dymitri Kleiner, author of Telekommunist Manifesto
www.telekommunisten.net

Simona Levi is a multidisciplinary artist born in Italy and established in Barcelona, director of Conservas, a cultural activity centre, co-founder of EXGAE and organiser of the Free Culture Forum Barcelona.
http://fcforum.net

Nate Tkacz, Melbourne University
Death Knell for Open Politics
http://nathanieltkacz.net/

Moderator:
Geert Lovink, founding director of the Institute of Network Cultures.
http://networkcultures.org

15.45 – 17.30
Pro-Active Archives

Speakers

Michael Edson, Director of Web and New Media Strategy for the Smithsonian Institution and Smithsonian Commons
The Smithsonian Commons
www.si.edu/commons/prototype

Sandra Fauconnier, Collection, Netherlands Media Art Institute
NIMk: Mediating Media Art
www.nimk.nl
http://catalogue.nimk.nl
http://gama-gateway.eu

Michael Murtaugh, writer, web designer, and creator of the Active Archives
Active Archives
www.activearchives.org/wiki/Main_Page
www.automatist.org

Annelies Termeer, Coordinator of Celluloid Remix at EYE Film Instituut Netherlands
Celluloid Remix

Moderator:
Eric Kluitenberg, head of the media program at De Balie, Amsterdam, and editor in chief of the Tactical Media Files on-line documentiation resource.
www.debalie.nl
www.tacticalmediafiles.net

17.45 – 18.05
Book launch, Telecommunist Manifesto by Dymitri Kleiner

------------

Friday November 12 - Evening Program:

20.30– 22.30
Public Debate: Future of the Public Domain in Europe
venue: De Balie, Amsterdam

A public debate about the future of the public domain in Europe and the role of evolving media and information infrastructures.

Speakers:

James Boyle, William Neal Reynolds Professor of Law and co-founder of the Center for the Study of the Public Domain at Duke Law School. He is the author of The Public Domain: Enclosing the Commons of the Mind, and Shamans, Software and Spleens: Law and Construction of the Information Society.
http://james-boyle.com
www.thepublicdomain.org

Bas Savenije, Director General of the Dutch Royal Library, Koninklijke Bibliotheek, in the Netherlands.
http://www.kb.nl/

Lucie Guibault is assistant professor of copyright and intellectual property law at the Institute for Information Law of the University of Amsterdam (UvA).
www.ivir.nl/staff/guibault.html

Simona Levi director of Conservas, a cultural activity centre in Barcelona, co-founder of EXGAE, and organiser of the Free Culture Forum Barcelona.
http://fcforum.net

Charlotte Hess, Associate Dean for Research, Collections, & Scholarly Communication, Syracuse University, and internationally renown commons theorist.
Constructing a Commons-Based Digital Infrastructure
http://library.syr.edu/about/people/staffbio/Hess_Charlotte.php

Moderator:
Paul Keller, copyright and social media expert, Knoweldgeland /  Creative Commons Netherlands,
www.kennisland.nl

------------

SATURDAY NOVEMBER 13

Economies of the Commons 2 Conference - Day 2
Venue: De Balie, Amsterdam

10.00 – 12.30
Revenue Models

Speakers:

Eelco Ferwerda, Amsterdam University Press - Publisher of Digital Products and is responsible for all digital publications.
www.oapen.org/xtf/home?brand=oapen, http://www.aup.nl/

Harry Verwayen, responsible for the development of the business of Europeana, an online collection of audio and visual culture.
www.europeana.eu/portal/

Jaromil and Marco Sachy:
- Denis Roio (Jaromil) is an artist, theorist and programmer currently based in Amsterdam, working as a researcher at the Netherlands Media Art Institute.
http://jaromil.dyne.org/
- Marco Sachy, researcher, Erasmus Institute for Philosophy and Economics, Rotterdam.

Dolf Veenvliet, Blender Foundation,  3D animator and web developer.
http://www.macouno.com/

Volker Grassmuck, researcher at the University Sao Paulo (USP), Brasil
www.vgrass.de

Moderator:
Martijn Arnoldus, Knowledgeland, Amsterdam
www.kennisland.nl

12.30 – 13.30
Lunch break

13.30 – 15.30
Open Content, Tools and Technology

Speakers

Peter B.Kaufman (USA) President and Founder of Intelligent Television
http://intelligenttelevision.com/

Ben Moskowitch, general coordinator of the Open Video Alliance, director of the Open Video Conference and leads the iCommons video policy project.
http://openvideoalliance.org

Michael Dale, Open Media for Wikipedia
Technologies for Collaborative Archival Video
http://danm.ucsc.edu/~dale
www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Media_Projects_Overview

Rufus Pollock is a Shuttleworth Foundation Fellow, an Associate of the Centre for Intellectual Property and Information Law at the University of Cambridge and a Director of the Open Knowledge Foundation.
http://okfn.org

Moderator:
Morgan Currie is a researcher for the Institute of Network Cultures in Amsterdam.

15.45 – 17.30
Materiality and Sustainability of Culture

Speakers

Jeff Ubois, researcher at Fujitsu Labs of America in Sunnyvale, California, Intelligent Television and Thirteen/WNET in New York.
www.ubois.com

Inge Angevaare, Koninklijke BibliotheekyNational Library of the Netherlands, coordinator of the Netherlands Digital Preservation Coalition.
www.ncdd.nl/en/index.php

Birte Christensen-Dalsgaard, Director of Development at the State and University Library in Aarhus, Denmark
http://en.statsbiblioteket.dk

Hans Westerhof is Deputy Director at the Netherlands Institute for Sound and Vision.
www.imagesforthefuture.org

Moderator:
Johan Oomen is managing the R&D department of the Netherlands Institute for Sound and Vision.
http://instituut.beeldengeluid.nl

------------

Saturday November 13 - Eevening Program:

20.30 – 23.00
Best of the oXcars
Venue: De Balie, Amsterdam

Presented by Simona Levi, EXGAE / Free Culture Forum Barcelona

>From Spain, the “first international culture Awards in the digital age.” Conservas and EXGAE (a play on the Spanish collectors society SGAE, which it so much opposes) organise the OXCARS free culture event to reclaim our cultural works.

Times have changed. The Internet allows information and culture to be exchanged horizontally among all citizens, and now our means of cultural production have to adapt to this new democracy – not the other way around. Because free and collaborative culture is the Culture of our time, because it’s a fact, because there’s no turning back….

EXGAE & Conservas present: The awards that will sweep the Grammys, the Goyas, the Max…The 1st non-competitive awards in the history of Culture…The 1st international Culture awards in the digital society…

http://exgae.net/english/the-oxcars

--------

Ticket Information:

http://ecommons.tuxic.nl/?page_id=1724

(Note: reduced prices for students)

For detailed program information and last minute updates check our website:
www.ecommons.eu