Waag Society on Mon, 5 Dec 2011 14:33:28 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-nl] Invitation: Trust Me, I'm an Artist

Invitation
Waag Society's Wetlab presents "Trust Me, I'm an Artist: Towards an Ethics of Art/Science collaboration". This series of public events, taking place in international settings, investigate the new ethical issues arising from art and science collaboration and considers the roles and responsibilities of the artists, scientists and institutions involved. You are kindly invited to join this edition.

This edition of "Trust Me, I'm an Artist" is led by artist Anna Dumitriu and Professor Bobbie Farsides (Chair of Ethics, Brighton and Sussex Medical School), in collaboration with Waag Society and The University of Leiden. On Saturday December 10th, Adam Zaretsky will propose his project to a specially formed ethics committee which will debate the proposal and come to a decision. Alongside the audience, Adam and the committee can enter into a discussion about the result.

Adam Zaretsky: Mutate or Die
Mutate or Die addresses the life sciencesâ enormous investment in the illusion of objective control over the biological world, and the tag team efforts of âpan-capitalismâ and the biotech industryâs privatizing of genetic research and patenting life forms. The writer William S. Burroughsâ genetic material will be used in a speculative artistic experiment that will involve the creation of a transgenic mutation. The public will be invited to participate in the process, specifically within the portable lab we will build in a gallery space.

Check out our events website for more information: http://events.waag.org/wet-lab/trust-me-im-an-artist/

When
Saturday December 10th 2011
15:00 - 18:00 hours

Where
Waag
Nieuwmarkt 4
1012 CR Amsterdam

RSVP
Send an e-mail to events@waag.org
This event is English spoken

Trust me, Iâm an Artist is part of the Studiolab â Utopian Practices program in collaboration with Leiden University and BioSolar Cells. Studiolab â Utopian Practices is kindly supported by the Ministry of Eduction, Culture and Science.

waag society

+31 20 5579898
waag.org
@waag