Comanescu Nicolae on Mon, 3 Jun 2002 23:02:22 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-ro] Atelier35

‘HOW I ENVY THE CUP THAT MOVES YOUR LIPS’

‘How I envy the cup that moves your lips’ is a collaborative exhibition by
the three artists Simon Ferdinando, Paul Glazier and Arthur Neve, all of
whom are based in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. The exhibition will be taking
place in Galeria Atelier 35, Bucharest, from june 5th- 23th.

Whilst traveling through Romania in 2001 Arthur Neve was caught up between a
romantic admiration of the rural way of life in the countryside and the
knowledge that this was probably dictated by necessity rather than choice.
Besides his own envious feelings he was also aware that he was being envied
for his freedom to travel, freedom of speech and his apparent wealth.

Although the three artists in this exhibition will be showing works
conceived and executed individually it is one of the principal objectives of
the show that the works will work together as a whole. These works were
arrived at through ongoing discussions around the theme of ENVY from various
viewpoints: literal, poetic, political, moral and philosophical. Arriving at
a distinctly diverse range of conclusions the works in themselves become
tools to examine the theme of ENVY beyond the process of verbal or written
discourse.

Artist’s Statements:

Paul Glazier:

Envy towards a desired object is always mediated through a secondary person.
This, unlike avarice, requires a degree of identification with the envied
person, thus opening a pathway for complex and often ambivalent emotion.
In ENGVY for five voices I play with the possible directions and axes along
which this emotions plays.
What is the emotion?
It is the desire to have something that someone else has in the belief that
this will either directly or indirectly increase your happiness. It is an
imagining of yourself in a happier self. In this sense the envied person is
often only   symbolic and the object of envy often superfluous – empty:
simply an imagined vehicle for an imagined happiness; it becomes an empty
box into which we can project our desires and give form to our
dissatisfactions.

Simon Ferdinando:

As his breathing calms, the symphonic confluence of bodies now enters the
past, slackening spine, muscles bones and belly, the massive body now just
heavy, is made delicate as early evening shadows tie laces across his back.
Obscured by the sheet he is slipping into unguarded sleep. With the coming
night the cooling air brings a warm scent of shit, drifting in from the
swamp mingling with lilac, someone somewhere is playing an old record from a
time long before I was born.

A subjective perception is one in wich the images vary in relation to a
central and privileged image: an objective perception is one where, as in
things, all images vary in relation to one another, in all their facets and
all their parts.

Arthur Neve:

One aspect of Arthur Neve’s work in this show will be an installation of
copied drawings and texts. In contrast to the usual functioning of an
exhibition where the art work is isolated and made precious the visitors to
the exhibition will be invited to take these texts and drawings home with
them. Through this participation of the visitor the installation will change
during the duration of the show and the usual mechanisms of envy will be
short circuited, or at least highlighted, for the object of desire will be
made available. It will be interesting to see if the object then remains
desirable!

The opening of the show will be on the 4th of June at 6.00 p.m.
Atelier35 Gallery, Str. Eforie 4-6, Bucuresti. Tel: (01)315 06 51