locone-admin on Sun, 8 Sep 2002 09:15:30 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-ro] SIGNAL TO NOISE at Location One

Dear Friends of Location One,

Please join us as Location One kicks off the 2002-2003 season with an
exhibition of sound and light curated by our Director of Online Exhibitions,
Heather Wagner.  It's going to be an exciting and unusual show; we hope to
see you there!

SIGNAL TO NOISE
A group exhibition of works in light and sound featuring work by Atsushi
Nishijima, Erwin Redl, Laureie Spiegel and Heather Wagner.

Curated by Heather Wagner

September 10 - October 19, 2002
Opening Reception: Tuesday, September 10th, 6-8pm

GALLERY INFORMATION
Location One is located at 26 Greene Street NYC 10013, between Grand and
Canal streets.
Subway: Canal Street (N, R, 6, A, C, E, J, M, Z)
Gallery Hours: Tuesday  Saturday, 12 -6 PM
(212) 334-3347

Location One is happy to present SIGNAL TO NOISE, a group exhibition
featuring works that explore the relationship of sound and light waves. Not
merely illustrations of audio-visual synaesthesia, several of the pieces act
literally as transducers, that is, devices that convert input energy of one
form into output energy of another.

The range of frequencies detectable by the human ear is about 20 Hz to
20,000
Hz, and the visible light spectrum is 400 terahertz (red light) to 740
terahertz (violet light). But there are also frequencies like radio waves,
microwaves, infrared and ultraviolet light that, unless converted to a
human-readable format, course through our environments invisibly and
silently.

The notion of seeing the Invisible is both seductive and ordinary. From
night vision goggles and microscopes to consumer software like iTunes that
invites you to "visualize your music"; digital audio tools that render music
as waveforms on a monitor, allowing an audio engineer to edit both visually
and aurally, we are accustomed to a kind of mediated synaesthesia.

But in a sense, bringing to light the Invisible can be thought as a metaphor
for what all art (not to mention religion and philosophy) attempts to do. In
SIGNAL TO NOISE the artworks act as translators of sound waves to light
waves (or vice versa) in elegant, sometimes quite low-tech and simple
examples of this phenomenon.

ATSUSHI NISHIJIMA, trained in experimental and contemporary music, creates
sculptures and installations, which emphasize the idea that sound, and
thereby music, is inherent in all objects and environments. He was
artist-in-residence from Japan at Location One in 2001.

ERWIN REDL uses sound and light to create both stunning large-scale
installations and smaller meditative pieces. Most recently, his LED grid
piece "Matrix VI" adorned the façade of the Whitney Museum for the 2002
Biennial.

LAURIE SPIEGEL is a pioneer in computer music and one of the first composers
to experiment with concepts of visual music. Though she navigates the upper
echelons of high technology she "sees the computer as a new kind of folk
instrument". As she says, "music is a way to deal with the extreme intensity
of moment to moment conscious existence."

HEATHER WAGNER has created sound installations and internet performances
that explore ethernity, the imaginary connection between cyberspace and
dreams. She also plays drums and is grateful to the curator for thinking of
her.

ABOUT LOCATION ONE
Location One (www.location1.org) is a new not-for profit art center, which
fosters the convergence of all types of creative expression. We maintain a
gallery space suitable for every form of performance and exhibition, and
within this space, multimedia net-broadcasting facilities that allow us to
webcast a 24-hour stream of both live and archived events. Our International
Residency Program invites artists from other countries to experiment with
emerging technologies. Location One is an exploration space for continual
creative discovery.

e-mail with "Remove" as the subject heading. Thank You.