razvan_ion on Mon, 13 Sep 2004 08:04:01 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-ro] new book

artphoto editions |new title

razvan_ion
visual_witness
video & photo 2001-2004

essays by Lev Manovich, Tetsuo Kogawa, Eugen Radescu, Mark Durden, Zsolt Petranyi, Dana Altman.

english, 72 pages, 50 colour images, hard bound, 17x23 cm

20 copies signed, numbered and presented in a cloth-handmade box including a signed and numbered original c-print from "search:beauty". Each print has been made, hand-signed and numbered by the artist

price: 29.95 Euro | 29.95 USD
special sign copies with original print: 299 Euro | 299 USD

www.razvanion.com
www.artphoto.ro

This project is part of artphoto publishing projects.

EXTRAS FROM THE ESSAYS IN THE BOOK

"The images of Razvan Ion are very beautiful and very timely (which is another way of saying they perfectly capture the sensibility and the mood of the beginning of this century)."
Lev Manovich

"Razvan Ion's works reminds me of Bert Brecht's famous technique: V-Effekt (Alienation Effect). Unfortunately, this technique has been considered as a kind of exaggerating and punctuating effect. I have never seen a Brechtien stage at my satisfaction. I think the V-Effekt should be more subtle and stealthy tactics. In this sense, Ion might be more authentic to Brecht."
Tetsuo Kogawa

"To feel the characters from the works of Razvan Ion is not a simple, unmediated relationship with an image/object. Ultimately, feeling means thinking, that is perceiving the given being. The search for the whole in the truncated, dehumanized images, reduced to an impenetrable scale."
Eugen Radescu

"Razvan Ion's position is related to the recognition of the importance of the media image in the visual culture. His works presents the point where the objective relation of the artist to his subject is not without commentaries. It works like the media image which appears as fact but it gives always rise to personal associations."
Zsolt Petranyi

"Razvan Ion is a visual witness of a system in continuous evolution, documenting a paradigm which invades our private space pervasively by means of a disquieting diversity of options."
Dana Altman

Razvan Ion was born in Romania, in 1970. Artist, curator and publisher. He exhibited in Germany, Hungary, Austria, Yugoslavia,  The Netherlands, USA, Australia, Slovenia, Thailand, Moldova and Romania. He curated in Slovenia and Romania. Founder, editor and publisher of artphoto magazine. Member of nix group with Eugen Radescu.

artphoto is a contemporary art magazine. The projects of the magazine includes curatorial and publishing projects. www.artphoto.ro

Special thanks from the artist to: Eugen Radescu, Dana Altman, Mark Durden, John Goto, Lucian Georgescu, Vladimir Bulat, Lev Manovich, Ken Goldberg, Tetsuo Kogawa, Cristian Stan, Andreas Mueller-Pohle.

CONTACT FOR INFORMATIONS, PRESS RELEASE, IMAGES & SALES:

+1 917-667-2776 / 212-740-9522, New York
+4 0723033330, Bucharest
email: artphoto@pcnet.ro