Monteparadiso HackLab on Sun, 16 May 2004 20:10:10 +0200 (CEST)

[nettime-see] [Fwd: <nettime> The Political Right Today in Italy]

Ovo forwardiram sa internacionalne nettime mailing liste jer se radi o
nekim dijelovima koje ova mailing lista pokriva...

-----Forwarded Message-----
From: "Sverko, Adriano" <adriano.sverko@scala.net>
To: nettime-l-digest@bbs.thing.net
Subject: <nettime> The Political Right Today in Italy
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 13:37:35 +0200

I am interested in learning more about the political climate currently in
Italy from people that are living there. What are the deep cultural trends
that are bringing people back to notions of irredentism?

We have heard much about Berlusconi in English and American media. His
conservative views. His mixing of  business and media and politics.

But there are other events that seem under-reported. Before I continue, a
bit of personal narrative: I happen to be from Istria and am of Italian and
Croatian ancestry. I speak both languages.

1. Some personal observations. The rise of Mussolini's granddaughter in
Italian politics, to lead the second largest right-wing party in Italy seems
to not get--shall we say--the alarmist coverage it perhaps deserves.

2. There seems to be a new interest in irredentism. (for a good definition
of the term: http://www.bartleby.com/65/ir/irredent.html
<http://www.bartleby.com/65/ir/irredent.html> )
I recently saw a light news-magazine show on a RAI TV station talking about
the Partisan (Yugoslav) extradition of Italians from the Croatian peninsula
of Istra (Istria, in English). I was a bit surprised that the story talked
about the 300,000 Italians pushed out of Croatia during the "purging" of
fascism. This news story was very tug-at-your-heartstrings and one-sided. It
did not get into any complexity. It did not report fairly. For example:
a)       During this post-Bellum period, Germans, Italians and Croats were
cleansed, not just Italians.
b)       During the time of "dictatorship of the proletariat", liberals and
even nationalists were in danger for their views or their deeds in
Yugoslavia. The same danger existed for an Italian nationalist, but also for
a Slovenian or Croat nationalist
c)       The newsmag story did not discuss the alliance that Croat fascists
(Ustasi) and Italian fascists forged. To do so would blur the simplistic
us/them dichotomy the news story aimed to produce
d)       Some details as to why people were forced out were not mentioned in
the story, including this: fascist youth organizations existed, such as
Piccole Italiane, and Opera Nazionale Balilla (ONB); Pula had a
concentration camp, filled with Slavs and communists. I am friends with one
of the prisoners who survived. He was sent there as a minor, about 15 years
old. He was sent there because of the testimony of another underage boy, who
said that his family was feeding partisan troops.

This stuff is exhausting; I am drained writing about it. I was in Stockholm
a few days ago and I heard an older man in a 7-Eleven speaking Italian. I
introduced myself and we spoke a bit. When I explained that my funny Italian
accent comes from Croatia... next thing I knew, he went on, ranting about
how Istra and Dalmatia should be a part of Italy. I couldn't believe I was
hearing this. And I thought that is 50% of the entire size of the nation.
Don't I have a right to exist, too?

Adriano Sverko

CONFIDENTIALITY CAUTION AND DISCLAIMER

which it is addressed and contains information that is privileged and
confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, or the person
responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are
communication is strictly prohibited. All un-intended recipients are obliged
to delete this message and destroy any printed copies. This email contains
no warranty or representation as to the accuracy and completeness of any of
the information and implies no commitment thereto. Please be aware that
legally binding obligations can only arise by written instrument signed by
authorized representatives. Scala Business Solutions N.V. and all entities
within the Scala Group exclude any liability for direct or consequential
loss from use or reliance upon this e-mail.

Nettime-SEE mailing list
Nettime-SEE@nettime.org