Mathilde muPe on 15 Jul 2001 23:29:51 -0000

[oldboys] HAL appetizers to 'socialize'

About a week ago I dropped some keywords as appetizer for HAL.
Some of you would do be better then me in explaining these terms.
But some of you might like to have a post HAL clue before getting into
tech talk (and maybe even socialize with a genuine geek male/female).

-UTP is nowadays the most common used network cable. Very  important at
HAL. There are two flavours; Twisted pair and Straight  As far as I know
(tell me if i'm wrong), most hubs (little network box with blinking lights
wired  between computers) like the straight UTP cable to connect to
computers. See also http://www.addtron.com/test1/thisted.htm

- ext2 =Linux file system partition

-  nfs =Network File System. Using TCP communication to share partitions
of computers like their were at the machine itself. See also
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/NFS-HOWTO/intro.html

-128-bit encryption = Encryption method using a 128 bit key to scrammble
data /messages. The more bits a key contains, the more secure.
A major topic at HAL See also:
http://help.netscape.com/kb/consumer/19971208-6.html

- address bus width = Well, who needs to know nowadays. Its the width of
the data path to read and write a computer memory address. Nowadays
somewere about 64 bit

- dual flipflop = No this is no snow shoe ;-)  It is an IC (chip) for logic
programming. It toggles either of the outputs to high or low.  Use this term
carefully or you might end up at HAL with a soldering iron in your hand.

- smd = Surface Mount Device. With the micronazation of computers and
others electronic devices the internal electronic parts also step down in
size.
Nowadays industry often 'glue' these micro electronics parts on the surface
of electronic boards. Wereas in the old days chips and others parts had
wires and leads which had to be fitted through a hole and soldered. (Oh
those good old days were one could reuse hardware)

- port scanning= Is roaming a computers TCP (communication) ports to
find an open door (and using it). TCP/IP communication used as software
language over the internet is divided into different channels of
communication, like the web and email, but irc is also famous. Each of
these subsets of communication over TCP use a different port (software
level ). Consider the whole TCP internet mambo jambo as a group of radio
stations, one can tune into what ever one likes. Most of the famous TCP
software ports are well secured (or supposed to be so by the computer
operating system). It is unlikly that someone who uses port scan will find
the email port open for hacking. But there are about 65535 TCP ports,
installing an exotic internet extension or using a faulty operating system
(like Windows) might create an open port left unguarded to be found by a
port scanner . (Aha, that's the use for installing a firewall)

Again some of you might have a far better indept tech topic to pre-crunch
before HAL. My 5c is just a general pick of topics.

see you

Mathilde

**  distributed via <oldboys list>: no commercial use without permission
**  <oldboys list> is an unmoderated mailing list for global cyberfeminism
**  to remove your address from the list, send a message to: