Frank Heitmeyer on 19 Mar 2001 23:53:22 -0000

Re: [rohrpost] Taliban contra Buddha

No. 26/01 Author:   Karmapa Thaye Dorje
          Date:     March 5th, 2001
          Subject:  Press Release on the Thaliban Destruction
          Reply to: info@diamondway-buddhism.org
PRESS RELEASE

I condemn the demolition of the Tallest Buddha Statue in the
world and the other sacred Buddhist Relics in Afghanistan.
I can only describe the act of demolition as an inhuman act
on the part of the Thaliban. I wish to seek the interference
of the International Agencies and Governments of all the
nation to seek appropriate steps to put to stop this act of
Vandalism.

The act of destruction of such a rich cultural heritage is
not a destruction of a particular religion but the destruction
of mankind. This act could only have been done by those who
are uncivilized and have no feeling for others and especially
to Buddhist in particular for whom these relics mean so much.

I would like to make an appeal to all, to condemn this act
of "Vandalism" by asserting appropriate pressure to stop the
further destruction of these relics.

On my part, I have been and will make special prayers for
the protection of these valuable relics and hope that the
people of Afghanistan would realize the repercussion from
these act on effort to bring peace in this Universe.

His Holiness Karmapa
Trinley Thaye Dorje

Dated: March 5, 2001.
Kalimpong, W. Bengal.