philipp schmidt on 1 Aug 2001 09:58:48 -0000

[rohrpost] [Fwd: FC: Genoa protester tells of beatings, abuse, retinal scans bycops]

ich weiss nicht, ob dieser furchtbare bericht der vorgaenge in genua
schon zirkuliert wurde.

ich bin nicht politisch engagiert, aber waere dankbar fuer vorschlaege
oder rat wie effektiv gegen das vorgehen der italienischen polizei
protestiert werden kann.

danke,
philipp

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: FC: Genoa protester tells of beatings, abuse, retinal scans by
cops
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 14:45:50 -0400
From: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
To: politech@politechbot.com
CC: alaidh@yahoo.com, rabbit@cownow.com

[Obviously we don't know if this is pure fabrication, but it does have
the
ring of truth -- outrage over life-threatening beatings and then
repeated
annoyance over being served ham sandwiches instead of a vegan meal. The
activists who have been trade summit-hopping aren't stupid, and through
the
Independent Media Centers are reasonably well connected. They now know
that
they can get beaten, tortured, robbed, and perhaps even killed by cops.
(Yes, there were persistent reports of police brutality at previous
protests, including the GOP convention, and I wrote about them at the
time.
But they were mild compared to these charges.) So the Black Bloc and
even
their less-extreme allies have some obvious options: (1) Stay home; (2)
Hope that other cops won't be as thuggish and sadistic as the Italians
allegedly are; (3) Buy hundreds of X10 cams and stream live footage from
activist HQ to a secure server in another jurisdiction; (4) Erect
defensive
fortifications at activist HQ and arm themselves heavily for when the
cops
arrive with the nightsticks out. --Declan]

********