Sparwasser HQ on Mon, 5 May 2003 15:17:11 +0200 (CEST)

[rohrpost] TALK am 7. Mai um 20 Uhr

Sparwasser HQ has the pleasure to invite you to our next "Artists' Talk"
Wednesday the 7th of May at 8 pm.

Jan Rothuizen and Sean Reynard will be in Sparwasser HQ
to show and discuss their newest projects,
which we will be able to see in the context of their earlier works.

PLEASE NOTE:
We changed our weekly talks to Wednesdays.

S P A R W A S S E R    H Q
OFFENSIVE FOR CONTEMPORARY ART AND COMMUNICATION
T O R S T R A S S E    1 6 1 , 1 0 1 1 5   B E R L I N
OPENING HOURS: WED-FRI 4 -7 PM, SAT 2 - 6 PM
contact: mail@sparwasserhq.de or telephone +49 30 21803001
http://www.sparwasserhq.de

THE INVITATION
As part of the commitment of Sparwasser HQ to exchange, even widely,
the forms of communication about contemporary art, we would like to
invite you to
a series of "Artists' Talk", preceding Wednesday the 7th of May, in order to
present artists' recent works and latest development, with particular
emphasis on new, still
in progress, projects.

THE AIM
The aim is to give the chance for both artists
and audience to create a direct exchange of information, impressions,
feedback, in a
friendly and constructive environment, where some features of the
artists research will be
pointed out and linked to other experiences.

THE DIALOG
The invited artists will present and discuss with the audience their own latest
developments in 1 hour time, and we will present 2 artists each time.
Through the evening some hands-out from the artists will be available, and
we will have a bar service, at discounted prices, to chill out and
relax enjoying a beer or a glass of wine!

THE ARTISTS
April 28.: Jeroen Offerman, Jean Lee, May 7.:Jan Rothuizen and Sean Reynard,
May 14.: Deborah Ligorio, Karen Yasinski, ? May : Zeigam Azizov.
http://www.sparwasserhq.de/talk/talks.htm

SECOND WEDNESDAY
This second Wednesday will be the 7th of May at 8 pm:
the presenting artists are Jan Rothuizen and Sean Reynard
You will find a short introduction to their work below
CVs on the page  http://www.sparwasserhq.de/talk/talks.htm

The evening will be held in English.

See you on Wednesday!

Sparwasser HQ

Jan Rothuizen

The work of the Dutch artist and writer Jan Rothuizen is not easily
categorized under one heading. Rothuizen employs photographic works,
personal texts and on-site infiltrations to detach images from their
original context, in order to present them anew in full vulnerability
and implicit pliability.
The artist's self-portrait in progress composed of existing portraits
that he considered to be resembling himself  'Somewhere over the
Rainbow'  , a crossword puzzle based on personal questions and a
collection of  'missing'-signs, gathered from different places and
united on one tree: what binds these works is the reflection of a
longing.
The capturing of an image and its inherent ambivalence: Rothuizen
operates from the knowledge of its impossibility. It turns his work
into a paragon: a reflection on human signifying and its
inadequacies, and with that, or maybe rather, a monument of longing
as such.

At Sparwasser Jan Rothuizen will review  some  earlier projects and
show a project he is currently working on in Berlin.

Sean Reynard

Sean Reynard, born in St.Helens, UK 1971, studied St.Helens Technical
College (Expressive Arts) then Sheffield Hallam University UK BA Fine
Art.

He will present and talk about his short videos, often improvised
tales of frustration
and death. For Sparwasser he will present a selection of recent work, including
Unkle God, where God visits his niece in her bedroom and Mam, which
shows what he had to deal with every single day of his adolescent
life.