Andreas Broeckmann on Thu, 13 Jan 2000 19:02:19 +0200

Syndicate: PC3 APLICATIONS: info

PolarCircuit3, 2000
http://media.urova.fi/polar2/

Application for participation & workshop presenters
From: Steve Bradley, sbradley@umbc.edu

January 13, 2000

Deadline for application submission: February 1, 2000

Dear Polar participants,

the following is a working list of workshops being offered, an application
for both participation and workshop presenters.  Please fill in the
application as clearly and concise as possible.  Skip over any question
that do not pertain to you.  Everyone should fill in the participation
application.  The information you present will be essential in securing
housing and facilities.  The cost of housing last two PolarCircles were in
the neighborhood of approximately 5000 fin-marks ($100 + -) for a month at
Tornio.  For new Polars : private and community kitchens will be available
for meals.  Cooking utensils, dishes and other pertinent tools for eating
will be available.  Also remember to bring your special recipes and spices
-- very important -- liquor and strong coffee is very expensive (difficult
to find) so you might consider bringing in what you think is appropriate.
One way to give thanks to ground & virtual support people is to give them
shots of whisky every so often!!

Most likely the rooms will have ethernet connections -- bring your laptops
or small super-computers.  Media is both expensive and difficult to come by
while in the polar circle.  It is advisable to bring in 35mm film,
audio/DAT, Hi8, zip disks, and other media/materials you might need.  Most
likely there will be cd burners available-- soon this information will be
posted on the PC3 web site.

Please write "PC3 APPLICATION" in the subject of your email message-- this
will assist me in keeping the apps organized.  PLEASE  --  when you send in
your application reply only to me not the whole list.  Thanks.

Please send in your applications as soon as possible. The sooner you send
in the application the sooner we can post the information on the web site.
http://media.urova.fi/polar2/    If you have questions please forward them
to your point people to compile and send on to me.  Thanks again for your
participation.

best future,
steve bradley

APPLICATIONS are located after the WORKSHOP list.

WORKSHOPS
NOTE: descriptions, times and dates are still being developed.  A more
comprehensive listing including dates, place, titles and descriptions will
follow as I receive more information.  This too will be posted on the web
site over the next few weeks.

_________________________________
Rovaniemi- dates: June 15-June 30th.

-Dr.Nigel Helyer, Australia. url : http://www-personal.usyd.edu.au/~nhelyer
Title: TBA.  Description: 3D sound using the Lake system

-Sophea Lerner, Australia.
Title: TBA.  Description: pro-tools for broadcast

____________________________
Tornio- dates: July 1- July 31st.

-Igor Stromajer, Lenz, Austria. url: http://www.intima.org
Title: Go Intimate.  Description: How to combine emotions and digital
technology when
creating a minimalistic multimedia art project. Would it be possible?

-Daniel Jolliffe & Ken Gregory, Canada
Title: Tinkering and Electronics. Description: TBA

-Melinda Rackham, Australia. url:  http://www.subtle.net/carrier
(overall workshop organizer for VRML)
Title: the softspace of  virtual worlds. Description:  dealing with
multi-user vrml ( probably macintosh based) which could have a net event as
an outcome, also workshops on low polygon modeling, avatars, worlds,
texture mapping, advanced web. Individual. Workshop tutors to be confirmed.

-Ed Osborn, USA. and Daniel Jolliffe, Canada.  url: http://curve.to
Title: TBA. Description:  simple electronics & stamp technology

-Sheila Urbanoski, UK.
Title: TBA.  Description: web engine placement strategies using
UML/JSP/XML/JEB and/or java beans (working description).

-Rasa Smite, Riga. url: http://xchange.re-lab.net
(potentially in collaboration w/Maxim  Narbrough)
Title: TBA.  Description: TBA

-Christine Stewart, Canada.
Title: TBA.  Description: Avid/AfterEffects- non-linear video editing

-Alejandro Duque, South America.
Title: TBA.  Description: TBA

-Jeff Taylor, Finland
Title: TBA. Description: TBA

-Amos Taylor, Finland -- TBA
Title: TBA. Description: TBA

-Steve Bradley, USA.  url: http://umbc7.umbc.edu/~sbradley
Title: (working title) Constructing and Locating the Self in Place.
structures we will explore the self in media/non-mediated space.   If
possible during the workshop the participants will broadcast works created
and live several times through some form of streaming media.  Workshop
times: M-Th, July 10-13th -- tentative streaming dates: M &/or T, July 17 &
18.   (I could use help with these streaming events).

WORKSHOP presenters APPLICATION FORM:
(note: participant applications are further below)

Residency schedule:   June 15 - June 30th	Rovaniemi
		    July 1 - July 31st		Tornio

NAME	________________________

EMAIL	________________________

URL	________________________

SURFACE ADDRESS: ________________________
(include country / state / providence)

		________________________

		________________________

		________________________

What is your workshop title?

Please write a short description of your workshop if you have not done so.

What dates are you planning on presenting your workshop?  Think of three to
four hour blocks of time over a four to five day period.

What kinds of facilities, computer equipment, furniture, and tools will you
need to successfully present your workshop?

Do you need technical assistance?  Include web space, special software
configurations and server technical needs such as REALaudio/video server
configuration.

Would you be willing to collaborate with another workshop presenter?  If
so, please give details.

How many participants can you handle in your workshop?  Do you want to
review all applications who are interested in your workshop prior to them
being assigned?

Are there any materials that the participant needs to have for the workshop?

Do you have any questions or concerns that I have not addressed in the
questions above?

PARTICIPANT application FORM:

NAME	________________________

EMAIL	________________________
URL		________________________

SURFACE ADDRESS: ________________________
(include country / state / providence)

		________________________

		________________________

		________________________

ARRIVAL ____________ / DEPARTURE ____________dates
(If unsure, estimate when you might be at PC.  PLEASE keep me posted on
changes as soon as you know of any. Information on travel will be available
on the web site. )

Housing arrangements; are you willing to share a room?

What kinds of projects are you interested in working on while at PC3?
Privately, and/or collaboratively.  If you do not know, then state what
kinds of things you have been working on in the past such as video, sound,
web, networking, and theory.

List your skills such as web design, video, sound, etc. Also include kinds
of software your familiar with such as Director, Flash, Dreamweaver,
Photoshop.   Are you willing to conduct short workshops in some of these
skills or assist with a workshop facilitator?

We are still in the midst of setting up the workshops, however, please
indicate which workshops your interested in taking.  Please give two
alternates just in case your first choice is full.

What equipment and/or facilities would you need access to?  Also state if
you need web space?

Please indicate if your willing to assist with organizing field trips,
dinners, show and tell events, assisting new polars to acquiring housing,
and other activities while your at Polar Circuit.   In what capaicity?

..  .
steve bradley  * http://umbc7.umbc.edu/~sbradley