trevor on Mon, 17 Jan 2000 21:14:59 +0500

Re: Syndicate: Netart: Call for Entries 4th Werkleitz

On 17-Jan-00, Inke Arns wrote:

>>From: Krystian Woznicki <krystian@snafu.de>
>>Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 11:14:31 +0100

>>The artist transferes the non-exclusive right to exhibit the work
permanently
>>in Kulturserver, in the context of the Biennale and for PR-work.

>So that Kulturserver gets art for free or what.
>What does that mean?

>Now, why should I (in the case I were an artist or anybody who wanted to
>submit something) in this case agree upon something that allows
>Kulturserver to display my work **permanently**? For 1000 DM (well, in case
>I win)? C'mon. That's really cheap.

>Best wishes, Inke
>(now using Linux, hey! on the other machine)

Well, now you mention it -I notice that the (financial) conditions for
participating in festivals, conferences and other manifestations vary
enormously. While some organisations are prepared to pay travel and
accomodation (sometimes even additional expenses or a small fee) others
provide nothing and seem to support the local hotel and resturant industry
more than the artists.

Academics who are seconded by their institutions may not have great problems
with paying to present their work at a conference -but it does seem a rather
bad economic principle to encourage. Do professional footballers also have to
pay a registration fee (plus travel expenses) for the privilage of playing in
a world cup competition?

Was there not recently an invitation to meet at ISEA?

Do all the syndicate members have access to funds allowing them to attend such
meetings -or is there a well funded elite developing who have the financial
freedom to plan future developmemts for others while having no further
responsibility (or democratic feedback) for their decisions?

I am not really a net artist -at present I still need to present my work in
situ, but it does seem rather absurd that the net is simply used to pass on
invitiations for meetings -when there could be a much more (open) on-line
discussion. Not that I would ever want to stop travelling and meeting people
in physical space -but it does have its (financial) limitations.

If the net really is such a revolutionary medium -why are the users still
using it so conventionally?

Do the others have any interesting or valuable tips, thoughts, remarks or
experiences to share?

Greetings,
trevor (still using Amiga on all systems!)