Andreas Broeckmann on Tue, 18 Jan 2000 14:26:40 +0200

Syndicate: Re: travelling and ISEA 2000

trevor <tebatt@dds.nl> wrote:

>Was there not recently an invitation to meet at ISEA?
>
>Do all the syndicate members have access to funds allowing them to attend such
>meetings -or is there a well funded elite developing who have the financial
>freedom to plan future developmemts for others while having no further
>responsibility (or democratic feedback) for their decisions?

dear trevor and others,

if you have followed the syndicate, its meetings and this list over last
years, you will know better than this. all meetings are announced via the
list, great effort has been made by organisers to pay as many of the travel
costs as possible, and piles of references and invitations have been
written so that people can apply for travel funding. remember for instance,
in 99, budapest, helsinki, karlsruhe, where a large parts of the travel
costs were paid for everybody who wanted to participate.

what happens more often is that there is little or no response to
invitations to the syndicalists, rich and poor, to participate in workshops
and meetings. so, if you are eager to travel: getting involved and helping
to raise the funds for yourself and others - which is often something that
other people are doing on a voluntary basis - might in fact get you there.
remember that the syndicate is not an organisation and has no money - its a
network of people and everything is done on the basis of gifts.

this is also the case with regard to ISEA 2000 (6-11 dec 00). there has
been a total of two (2) responses to the recent posting on this, that's
without trevor's remark. the situation is as i described, ISEA are offering
us a slot in the conference and also administrative support, and if we know
that there are actually people who want to go on a syndicate ticket, we'll
try to pressure them into giving us free or cheap passes. but if we want to
be able to cover travel costs, we will have to find that money ourselves.

Frederic Madre has offered to coordinate things from paris and we have only
just started communicating about how to go about this. if you are
interested to come to paris in december, and if you even want to put in
some work to make this paris syndicate meeting possible, please, get in
touch.

greetings,
-a