Inke Arns on Sun, 27 Feb 2000 11:51:39 +0100

Syndicate: Boyadjiev in Paris!

[i would love to go but i am in ljubljana at that time ... have lots of fun
-inke]

Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 23:28:11 +0200
To: Inke Arns <inke@snafu.de>
From: Luchezar Boyadjiev <luchezb@cblink.net>
Subject: please, post!!!

!!!   ATTENTION   !!!

ALL SYNDICATE PERSONAL

CURRENTLY STATIONED IN OR AROUND

THE PARIS AREA OF OPERATION

On March 13th I am starting a project in Paris for 1 month. It is part of a
big show at the Galerie nationale du Jeu de Paume titled "L'Autre moitie de
l'Europe" (The Other Side of Europe). The show has 4 parts (each one
lasting for 1 month) with 8-9 artists in each one. It is supposed to be the
"cream" of the contemporary art in/from Eastern Europe. My section opens on
March 13th and lasts until April 9th , 2000. It is subtitled "Social
Reality / Existence / Politics". The curators of the whole project are Anda
Rottenberg, Lorand Hegyi and Victor Misiano. The list of artists is like
"who is who"...

The invitation for this show came to me in the middle of the Kosovo crisis
around April 1999. I wondered what I can do for this show, provided that I
felt completely helpless to do anything regarding the war... At the end I
suggested a project which examines the museum institution, the concept of
invitations for spectacular shows of this sort, the artist(s) - audience
communication and participation, the "host - guest" paradigm, the human and
professional compassion, etc. What I did is to invite 4 more artists one
from each of Skopje, Pristina, Belgrade and Tirana on a 1 month residency
at the museum to work, to work between themselves, with me, with the
audience in a live situation (remember Hybrid Workspace?).

The title of the project is "Artist(s) in Residence Program" and the
artists are:
Slavica Janeshlieva - Skopje
Sokol Beqiri - Pristina
Uros Djuric - Belgrade
Alban Hajdinaj - Tirana

We will have a show within the show, extensive program of our own, etc. The
installation space I have been given in the museum will be turned into a
"studio complex" which visitors could enter only if invited by the
participating artists! However, after entering, visitors would be
participants themselves, etc. We will live somewhere else but work in the
museum every day. The logic became something like that from "The Three
Musketeers" by Alexander Dumas - I was invited, on my turn I am inviting
more friends/artists (I know these 4 artists from other projects on the
Balkans in the last 2 years), and on top of this we would invite still more
artists/people in Paris at that time to do performances, presentations,
etc. It's like - to "share a good thing" with friends, to "abuse the
hospitality of the host", to "give Paris more of what it wants...", etc., etc.

By the way, do you know of any interesting artist(s) or a group in Paris
that we might invite for a presentation in our space?

The difficulty of the project was/is the need for additional fundraising,
the tough communication between borders, visa(s), etc., etc. as you can
imagine.... The project is supported by the Pro Helvetia Antennas in Sofia,
Tirana and Skopje.

So, that's about it...

ALL SYNDICATE PERSONAL

CURRENTLY STATIONED IN OR AROUND

THE PARIS AREA OF OPERATION

IS INVITED !!!

(NON-SYNDICATE PERSONAL AS WELL)

LUCHEZAR BOYADJIEV, Sofia

1/ 	between March 7th and April 11th, 2000
	c/o Veronique Dabin
	Galerie nationale du Jeu de Paume
	5, rue Cambon, 75001 Paris, France
	tel. 0033 1 47 03 13 20
	fax 0033 1 42 60 39 05
	e-mail: <dabin@jeupaume.org>

2/ 	between March 13th and April 9th, 2000
	Artist(s) in Residence Program
	Galerie nationale du Jeu de Paume, Salle 5 (room 5)
	1, place de la Concorde, 75008 Paris, France
	tel, 0033 1 47 03 12 50
	fax 0033 1 47 03 12 51