Andreas Broeckmann on Tue, 4 Jul 2000 07:43:38 +0200

Syndicate: New at TOL

From: mail@tol.cz
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 22:14:17 -0200

Transitions Online (TOL) (http://www.tol.cz) is the leading Internet
magazine covering Central and Eastern Europe, the Balkans, and the former
Soviet Union. If you aren't already a member, fill out our registration
form at <http://www.tol.cz/trialsubscr.html> to receive your free two-month
trial membership. If you'd like to become a TOL member right away, go to
<http://www.tol.cz/member.html>. And if you're a citizen of a
post-communist country, FREE annual memberships are still available at
<http://www.tol.cz/trialsubscr2.html>.

This month's IN FOCUS package:

THE NEW E@STERN BLOC

The post-communist world is no stranger to the dot.com craze. But while the
West is grappling with the nuances of Internet law or the finer logistics
of online shopping, the East is battling against communist-style censorship
and surveillance, and the bumbling bureaucracies of state-run telecoms. In
addition to the following features, an overview compiled by TOL's editorial
staff, "The Cyber Challenge," (http://www.tol.cz/jul00/thecyber.html)
provides vital Internet stats and a brief overview for most of the region's
countries. And check each Monday throughout the month as TOL posts more
Internet-related stories.

IN FOCUS: Government vs. Geeks
by Andrej Krickovic
http://www.tol.cz/jul00/governme.html

The bluejean-clad youngsters at Iskon got what every Internet start-up
dreams about: An investor with deep pockets. When a U.S. company pumped $5
million into the Zagreb-based service provider, it turned the company into
a major player overnight. And at the same time presented a serious
challenge to the state-owned telecom monopoly.

IN FOCUS: Neither Here, Nor There
by Polia Tchakarova
http://www.tol.cz/jul00/neitherh.html

Bulgaria has come a long way in a short time -- especially in the
cyber-world. Still, the government is trying to maintain a delicate
balance: Letting the Internet realize burgeoning consumer demand while
keeping its monopoly on communication lines. How far Bulgaria's Internet
growth and e-commerce dreams can develop will depend on how the government
decides the question of fair competition. Accompanying this piece is a
sidebar by Boyan Gyuzelev looking at how, with the saturation of the U.S
and Western European Internet markets, Bulgaria could be one of the next
countries in the region to attract the big bucks.
(http://www.tol.cz/jul00/growingu.html)

IN FOCUS: Changing the Rules
by Jen Tracy
http://www.tol.cz/jul00/changing.html

As the world continues to forge a new electronic frontier, governments East
and West are attempting to control the Internet by bypassing established
laws and constitutional provisions. While the West champions sly
technological sophistication, the East leads the way in good, old-fashioned
repression.

IN FOCUS: Despots vs. the Internet
by Yerlan Askarbekov
http://www.tol.cz/jul00/despotsv.html

The Internet has just about as many enemies as it does friends, and Central
Asian governments are showing themselves to be some of its most odious
adversaries around. When not banned, the Internet in Central Asia is
heavily monitored and used by the powers that be for spreading propaganda
and crushing opposition. Service providers readily cooperate with
authorities to control the Internet, and there are few willing to head the
crusade against censorship.

WEEK IN REVIEW
compiled by our correspondents throughout the region
http://www.tol.cz/week.html

Russian doctrine challenges U.S. dominance ... At least 41 killed in
Russian truck bombings ... Ex-Communists win in Mongolia with landslide
victory ...  Azerbaijan pardons 87 political prisoners ... Abkhazia
conflict nearer to settlement  ... Life-long powers for Kazakhstan's first
president ...  Swiss promise $1.2 million to Tajikistan ...  Turkmen give
cold shoulder to free trade ... Montenegro apologizes to Croatia for war
crimes ...  Romania decriminalizes homosexuality in private places ...
Vodka in danger of extinction in Belarus? ...

CALL FOR PROPOSALS:
CENTER FOR POLICY STUDIES

The Central European University Center for Policy Studies (CPS) is calling
for proposals for its year 2001 International Policy Fellowships (IPF)
program, which is affiliated with the CPS and the Open Society
Institute-Budapest. The fellowships are intended to support analytical
policy research and to provide Fellows with professional policy training.
Interested applicants should submit a query in English online at
http://www.osi.hu/ipf/apply.html by 1 August 2000.

To visit the rest of our website, where we sample stories from the
magazine, back issues of our FREE weekly e-mail newsletter, plus some great
resources (like a worldwide events calendar and directory of
Russophile-related businesses), simply go to: http://www.russian-life.com

Please visit our partner sites:

The International Press Institute (http://www.freemedia.at/index1.html) is
a global network of journalists, editors and media executives, dedicated to
promoting freedom of the press and improving the standards and practices of
journalism.

Central Europe Review (http://www.ce-review.org) is the weekly Internet
journal of Central and East European politics, society, and culture.

The Network of Independent Journalists of Central and Eastern Europe (NIJ),
a weekly service run by the Croatian-based STINA press agency. To subscribe
to STINA's NIJ weekly service, giving you timely news of events in the
region, send an e-mail to: stina@zamir.net

ADVERTISE HERE!

As part of its efforts to become self-sustainable and serve as a model for
other nonprofit organizations, Transitions Online has begun offering
interested advertisers the possibility to reach thousands of readers
through our weekly electronic mailings and on our site. Check out our newly
redesigned media kit (http://www.tol.cz/mediakit/) and find out how to
instantly reach a diverse, international audience with a demonstrated
interest in the post-communist world--people guaranteed to want to hear
what's new in products and services dealing with the region--and increase
your company or institution's exposure by targeting the English-speaking
elite in all of the 27 countries we cover.

A Czech nonprofit dedicated to promoting independent journalism, TOL is
based in Prague and uses a network of local correspondents to provide
unique, cross-regional analysis. We encourage you to visit our site and
become part of a dynamic new media project dedicated to building
independent journalism in Central and Eastern Europe, the Balkans, and the
former Soviet Union.

Luke Allnutt
Assistant Editor
Transitions Online
www.transitions-online.org
allnuttl@ijt.cz

TOL is the only online magazine exclusively covering Central and Eastern
Europe and the former Soviet Union. Register for a free two-month trial
membership at <http://www.tol.cz/member.html> and find out if you qualify
for a free annual membership.

Chlumova 22
130 00 Prague 3