Chris Byrne on Wed, 14 Feb 2001 11:13:28 +0000

Syndicate: LIVING ZEROES

LIVING ZEROES
talk programme at Dundee Contemporary Arts
20th February - 13th March 2001

http://www.livingzeroes.org

art - commerce - mobility - media

Who are the Free Workers and why should we think of businesses as
artworks? What links baby intercoms, online alibi services and Big
Brother? What do sniffing and scratching have to do with them? Do
vindaloo, cinema and databases have anything in common? Is the mobile
phone a public nuisance or a source for
new found love?

Mobile communications, surveillance technologies, globalization, digital
media and biogenetics are part of our everyday worlds. We live through, in
and against these things. Where and how we live, work and play are issues
which are not so much in transition as ones for which the transitory has
become the norm.

How are mobile communications changing our notions of intimacy and
togetherness? Are there new cultural identities emerging from so-called
transnational societies? Why are surveillance technologies becoming
mainstream entertainment?

The Living Zeroes takes a broad slice through the intertwining strands of
culture, media, and business which comprise and influence our contemporary
lives. Each talk is hosted by Simon Yuill, an artist-programmer who works
with many of the technologies which are changing our lives. Featured in
each talk will be guest speakers and specially filmed interviews with a
variety of peoplefrom different fields.

The Living Zeroes programme is an initiative of the School of TV and
Imaging, Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art and Design in collaboration
with DCA, the Visual Research Centre, Stills Gallery, Edinburgh and New
Media Scotland.

Talks:

"The avant-garde in pinstripe and briefcase"
2pm Tuesday 20th February 2001
The hybridisation of art and business

"Flight IC408"
2pm Tuesday 27th February 2001
British-Asian culture and global media

"Plunderphonics and Zero Realism"
2pm Tuesday 6th March 2001
Sampling and surveillence culture

"To be with you, always and everywhere"
2pm Tuesday 13th March 2001
Mobile technologies and new forms of intimacy

Special Event
ONE YEAR PERFORMANCE
4pm 13th March 2001
Dundee Contemporary Arts Cinema 2
talks by performance artist Tehching Hsieh

All talks take place in the Board Room of Dundee Contemporary Arts

Tickets to all talks are free and can be booked from Dundee Contemporary
Arts
01382 606220

Symposium: 15th of June 2001
(details to be announced)

For more information on talks and symposium see the website:
http://www.livingzeroes.org

in the message body.
                                      info@mediascot.org