Andreas Broeckmann on Tue, 20 Feb 2001 18:04:15 +0200

Syndicate: Beyond Form - Art and Architecture in the Space of Media

Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 00:06:24 -0500
From: Ostrow/Kaneda <so5@nyu.edu>
Subject: Re:Beyond Form

School of Visual Arts' Amphitheatre at 203 East 23rd St. NYC , on Feb. 22
at 8:00 pm
Beyond Form Art and Architecture in the Space of Media --

 The confluence of the arts and architecture our ever expanding
technological network  is emerging as a significant issue as museums and
galleries increasingly come to focus on how this territory will be defined
in the future. The effect of this situation is that it is literally
transforming these practices  through technologies ability to modify both
the subject and content of our modes of cultural production.  In this
context critical culture has begun to manifest a concern with how these
events are organizing our conception of the practices of art and
architecture. The presentations and discussion that make up this event form
a hypertext text that addresses how this condition is being responded to in
both theory and practice. This panel is made up of artists, theorists,
architects and a composer who will address how they are responding to the
mediating space of technology and how they seek to broaden the critical
parameters of their disciplines, rather than merely producing a
technological aesthetic.

Panelists:
Ed Keller: Designer, writer, architect and multi-media artist
Ben Neill: Composer, performer and designer of unique electro-acoustic
instrument, the mutantrumpet.
Fabian Marcaccio : artist represented by Gorney Bravin Lee gallery.
Thomas Zummer Artist, curator , writer.
Organized and moderated by Saul Ostrow ,Director of the Center for Visual
Art and Culture University of Connecticut, critic and curator and
ChristineCalderon, Omar Calderon and Peter Dorsey: architects