marko kosnik on Wed, 28 Mar 2001 01:25:33 +0200

Re: Syndicate: Picture That: Australia in the Forefront

on 3/24/01 11:08 PM, getlucky@news4u.co.uk at getlucky@news4u.co.uk wrote:

> Not being rude Marko (I have no agenda here), but what do you mean about
> having a long way to go?  Is this to do with Aboriginal people or was that
> just an example?
>
> I think we can all understand the reasons for limited access to photographs
> through the web, and I think that the arguments for
> ownership of photographs are quite convincing.  If the photographer is the
> originator of an image, why should s/he not be able to control its use?  You
> appear to question the photographer's right and suggest that the image
> automatically belongs to the nation.  Is this really your view?  By the same
> token, could we not argue that the authors of, say, important literature
> native to a certain country, or painters who create representative works, have
> no real 'ownership' or rights to their work?

well,
the topics is covering quite a range.
to answer in an as constructive way as possible, i would start with the
problem of
1. generalisation - in the scope of what is proposed by a waste idea of web
culture.
australia, nation, ethnical group.
"who" is australia?
what is a "culture" which is presented wiht 150 photographies, no matter who
is owning the copyrights.
what is an web archive? is it an archive on the web or is it a collection of
the pointers which are showing off the web, to the papers, books and the
rest of less accessible data?

still, i am questioning the manner of the use of certain media, in a very
pragmatic way. it is clear what is expected from "para" institutions
considering education - it is to open up the resources, the archives, to
make them as wide accessible as possible.

"long way to go" could just stand there for the ones who had invested a lot
into exchange on the web but still stay empty hands.

and, frankly, to present the aboriginal culture in the name of australia in
the web form with four pictures visible - are you serious? i don't question
the work of the artists and their copyrights - isn't the state there to pay
them for what it wants to be presented with?

(this is a stupid question, but sometimes, at least here in central europe
it helps...)

and if this stays out of your understanding, kelly, then just take it as a
poetry:

it is a long way to go.

doesn't sound so bad.

regards,