Monika Szewczyk on Fri, 30 Mar 2001 18:41:56 -0800

Syndicate: call for papers

pasquino
the ubc graduate student journal of visual art, art history & theory,
(university of british columbia, canada)

CALL FOR PAPERS
Art in Public Spaces
Our first issue seeks to re-examine the relationship between art and public
spaces. Although art has always existed outside the gallery, over the last
thirty years public art using strategies associated with site-specific,
conceptual and performance art has gained political credibility due to an
apparently direct engagement with the social realm. In recent debates, some
have critiqued the very notion of a public or public sphere, while others
have fostered the notion of community as a way of responding to different
publics, and still others have emphasized the historical layers of ownership
embedded in public landscapes. With the very notion of public space being
contested under different theoretical projects then, the basis for social
and political engagement in that space needs to be re-evaluated. Although we
are thus interested in re-examining current cultural initiatives, we also
seek to examine artistic practices of other periods and cultural locations
overlooked in recent debates on art in public spaces. We welcome papers from
diverse disciplines that deal with subjects ancient and modern, southern and
northern, eastern and western.

deadline for submission
april 30, 2001
All contributors must include their name, address and phone number. We
request that all submissions be no longer than 20 pages in length and follow
the Chicago Manual of Style, 3rd ed.
Please send submissions to
pasquino
Department of Fine Arts