Armin Medosch on Wed, 25 Apr 2001 12:07:51 +0200

Syndicate: Research: virus alert

dear syndicalists,

I hope that you are aware that this virus warning about a virus
coming with the subject line "It Takes Guts to Say Jesus" is a
fake. There is no such virus. Or maybe, in this case the virus alert
is the virus, being spread over the net by well-meaning people.

I am currently doing a little bit of research on that subject and
therefore would like to ask a few questions. To keep the traffic off
this list please reply directly to me armin@easynet.co.uk

Have you ever received similar virus alerts that turned out to be
hoaxes? If yes, please send me examples

Have you ever done what you are asked to do in that case, passed
the virus on by forwarding it to other people? If yes, why did you
pass it on? What did you exactly think in that moment, what were
your motivations?

Have you ever received email-chain-letters about good causes,
such as saving women in afghanistan or donating organs for little
children with cancer, where you were asked to "help" by forwarding
those emails? If yes, what was the content (please send me
examples)?

Has anyone of you ever conceived and sent out such an email
hoax? If yes, was it succesfull? And what were your reasons to do
so?

I am glad for any help on the subject matter. All information will be
dealt with confidentially. I would also appreciate to get help in the
form of links to research papers on email hoaxes and fake virus
alerts on the net (no general link lists, I have got them). And again,
please reply directly to me armin@easynet.co.uk and not to the
list
thanks
armin