Sally Jane Norman on Wed, 15 Aug 2001 00:50:58 +0200

Syndicate: echoes of acoustic space

Dear Syndicate

Hope some of you tuned into Sunday evening? Riga event. Felt very
unworldly, flooding French countryside summer evening landscape with a
little screen image, stretched as hopelessly big as possible across the
different frames - the player, then the navigator frame, then the monitor.
All that technology after coming back from a blackberry raid on vineyard
borders. Emotional intensity inversely proportionate to image and sound
definition. But however distorted and noisy image and sound were, on my
feeble 28 kb link, the scaffolding of the telescope systematically appeared
with the same formidable strength in the image field, and the grit of the
sound was just as systematically redeemed by tokens of it being live -
laughter, comments, that betrayed the ?zero/ nine ?loops and other
hypnotic repeats. And whoever filmed those two kids who were watching the
whole thing with eyes that exploded out of their faces was a genius. If
those kids are brought up in this kind of environment, where military
telescopes and planetary signals become materials for a technoartist?
playpen, what the hell are they going to be inventing a couple of decades
from now ?  The mind boggles. Marko, Rasa, Raitis, Nina, Honor, Adam and all
the others, chapeau. I? a fan. Acoustic space resonance, remanence.

If this is syndicate - and for me, it still is, dammit, and always has been
in its powerful moments - I? staying. Reckon you're right Eric. There's
stuff happening here.

Kia ora

sjn