martha rosler on Thu, 16 Aug 2001 12:52:46 -0400

Re: Syndicate: NN future

i cannot claim to have been on this list for 5 1/2 years, but i've enjoyed
and apporeciated many of the posts dealing with net art and other projects
and ideas from various places (mostly outside the US), and have learned
from political controversies dealing with armed conflict and other
political confrontations... but the following message (reproduced below) is
now representative of the way things are going here, it seems, and i am
unsubscribing.
The purpose of my wanting to announce this on the list is to observe that I
have subscribed to many political and professional lists, moderated and
unmoderated, and the unmoderated ones so far have always gone down to the
flame wars provoked my someone acting much like nn.
So you destroy your own playground by bullying and disrupting civil
discourse and provoking fuming hostility from some, pontificating
pseudo-philosophy on freedom from others (Something like my post
now..though I think the others were worse!).
Moderation is the key. The lists that have lasted have used it, and OF
COURSE the moderator can be accused of censorship, but the rules of posting
are always spelled out, and insult and unrelenting provocation are always
unacceptable,on a list as in person.
And unfortunately, my filter isn't working...

NN, why don't YOU (if there is a "you") start your own list? (But you are
always reactive and need others to attack, it seems.)

martha rosler
brooklyn, ny

>furtherfilth (info@furtherfield.org) stop your filthy personal agenda now
worm.

>NEWS: you have just hurt someone who has done absolutely nothing to you.
>

>Monster!!!
>

>Andreas Broeckmann. Inke Arns. Geert Lovink.
>
>Think about what you are doing NOW!!!!!
>

>You can butcher me.  If you continue hurting others
>
>there shall be a terrifying sound: THE SOUND OF PROTRACTED
>

>Monsters!!!

  	net.wurker][M.ollient][
 pro.ject.ile x.blooms.x .go.here.
	      xXXx