Eric Kluitenberg on Fri, 17 Aug 2001 03:37:19 +0200

[mir] Re: (post-)Syndicate: future

hi,

a bit sleepless tonite

geert wrote:
>I feel sad too, like all of you. Does someone of you write a last mail to
>the list? I you can mention my name too of course. I somehow would like to
>make clear that we all left.

yes, most of all about the sense that even in a zero budget network and
intitiative it was impossible to escape the typical kind of power politics
and envy that characterises main-stream art world politica, as most of the
rest of society. Syndicate managed to escape it for a long time, but it is
shocking to see how a few loud mouths can very easily take over a forum,
and how they actually are supported by people who are simply looking for
some kind of *guidance* - I see this as a strong man syndrome - the willing
accomplices.

Still, I would not like to dwell too long on what went wrong and rather
define a fresh perspective for the times to come. Perhaps it would be good
to mark this *exodus* clearly and issue some kind of statement about it, so
as not to go without any form of protest...
But the next  step should really be to define what the new context will be
which we want to create and enlist the right people in it for a relevant
post-syndicate initiative. I'll try to organise my thoughts over the
weekend and post them on this list once I managed...

greetings,
eric

the mir list is a temporary list for the syndicate exodus