Amy Alexander on Fri, 17 Aug 2001 03:11:39 -0700 (PDT)

Re: Syndicate: East, NN, filter, discuss

On Fri, 17 Aug 2001, Claudia Westermann wrote:

> expected. Well.. maybe I just like the irony... but on the other hand I do
> not think, that it is a good idea, if a filtered version of Syndicate would
> be just like if NN was banned. ...this is a concept...

good question; maybe we should clarify this... what i meant - and
i assumed others meant - by filtering - was filtering at each
s*bscriber's option. and usually with a filter the filtered mails
aren't deleted; they're just put in a separate folder. so if you
filter your mail but you'd occasionally like to see what integer -
or whoever - has been writing - you could just take a look in that
folder.

so the difference between filtering and banning is that the readers
have a choice about it on an individual basis.

on the other hand, yes, for those of us who filter integer posts,
the list looked pretty much the same with and without integer,
except of course for the flood of mail on the topic of integer-banning.
:-)

> I doubt, that money and connection speed are the only reasons, for a desire
> of server side filtering. That desire is connected to a feeling of being
> private when reading mail in front of a computer, I guess. In private
> spaces people try to reduce dynamic selection to a minimum. Maybe then it
> seems to be home ....?

this is an interesting idea... privacy = passivity?
not sure i agree but interesting to ponder.

anyway, i'm not sure what others had in mind, but the kind of interface
i was envisioning would actually be dynamic on the s*bscriber's end
in any case (i.e. like slashdot). the benefits of doing the actual
crunching itself on the server are a) save money/time
for people who pay for online time and/or have slower connections
and b) to allow for standardizing/simplifying software. in other
words, if it uses people's existing e-mail program or at least a
web browser, then that makes the technical side easier for everyone,
no matter what software or hardware they may have. if we distribute
custom software or even ask people to use their mail program's built-in
filtering, then we risk leaving some people in the lurch because
they have hardware that can't deal with the software or a mail
program that can't deal with filtering (or which may be difficult
to use, etc.. )

on the other hand, if those aren't really such big issues after all,
then maybe the info i posted on mail filtering will help. even
if it does turn out to be a matter of unwanted-filtering-in-private, the
filter only has to be set up once, then it can be forgotten about,
and back to private-private...

best,
-@

--
plagiarist.org
Recontextualizing script-kiddyism as net-art for over 1/20 of a century.