integer on Tue, 21 Aug 2001 02:34:41 +0200 (CEST)

Syndicate: \\

>>This process of assimilation, which takes place in depth,
>>requires a state of relaxation which is becoming rarer and rarer.
>
>yesyesyes - exactly.

 g!d! +?

>many children don't read the velveteen rabbit anymore -

many parents aren't children anymore +?

>they play videogames - even @ the age of 4 or 5.

comme ca +?

there once was a painter. a brilliant painter,
who mastered the art of replication and
the depiction of the beautiful. yet he was
lonely, he felt that there was no-one alive
who could understand him, no-one capable
of perceiving his entire being. one morning he
wept in his garden, crying to god to send
him someone who might comprehend his
full beauty. that day, he painted a new
canvas, a portrait of an unknown and
stunningly beautiful woman. when he
had finished, he cried to god to give her
sentience, as this most wondrous painting
could be the only being in the world who
might understand him. to his amazement, the
woman in the painting began to move.
'hallo! hallo!' he cried to her.
'where are you?' she replied.
'here, beside you!'
the woman in the painting looked around her.
'are you up, or down? across?' she asked.
'no, no', the painter implored, 'i am ..  i am .. out!'
'out? what is _out_?' she replied.
'out! out here!'
the woman did not understand him. she
only knew two dimensions - vertical and
horizontal. her world was that of the flat canvas.
the painter ran out to his garden and threw
himself onto the ground.
'god, oh god!' he wept. 'where are you?'
'out.' came the reply.

>the velveteen rabbit & that text together are sad
>
>it gives the sense that many things have been lost.
>
>subtle things - which we don't notice until it
>is brought to our attention.

t!ngl.tangl.

                         Researchers: Video games hurt brain

                         Scientists at Japan's Tohoku University said they've found that computer games stimulate only
                         those parts of the brain devoted to vision and movement and do not aid the development of other
                         important areas of the brain.

                         The researchers are particularly concerned that by spending many hours playing games some
                         children will not develop their frontal lobes, which play a crucial role in controlling behavior and in
                         developing memory, emotion and learning.

                         In contrast, tasks such as arithmetic stimulate brain activity in the frontal lobe, which is thought to
                         continue developing until adulthood.

                         Professor Ryuta Kawashima, who led the team that carried out the research, told The Observer that
                         the discovery is highly important.

                         "There is a problem we will have with a new generation of children--who play computer games--that
                         we have never seen before," he said. "The implications are very serious for an increasingly violent
                         society, and these students will be doing more and more bad things if they are playing games and
                         not doing other things like reading aloud or learning arithmetic."

                         Kawashima asserts that children must be encouraged to practice basic mathematics, reading and
                         writing to boost the development of the frontal lobe. He is convinced that children who play video
                         games excessively will not develop their frontal lobes and will consequently be more prone to violent
                         acts because they will be less able to control their behavior.

                         The study looked at the brain activity of hundreds of students playing a Nintendo game and
                         compared it with other students who were carrying out basic arithmetic. It found that much more
                         brain activity was needed to solve the simple mathematic tasks than was used to play the computer
                         games and that activity in the frontal lobe varied significantly.