Frederic Madre on Tue, 21 Aug 2001 22:14:10 +0200

Re: Syndicate: bureau automation

At 21:02 19/08/2001 -0700, Amy Alexander wrote:
>i wouldn't equate user-selected filtering with moderation, since

I was not. I was writing about automating the central moderation.

>out amy, etc." might send an undesirable message that the list invites readers to ignore whomever

yup.

>are those for whom existing options may not work; would be good if they had the same options.

maybe, but if it is the list itself that provides this
it becomes part of the list's culture
the realm of creative filtering should not be that of exclusion
it lies more in
the mix

>yes, but there are people with limited bandwidth who are getting
>overwhelmed with the volume of mail, so it would be good to come up
>with a plan for them.

it's impossible
they would not be reading the same list as the rest
how would they be able to react in tune ?
there is enough misunderstanding already

>users to customize what they read on a list would be consistent with
>self-rule. and i wouldn't consider it technocratic; after all, i can throw

sure, if it's self rule (parametrization) and not central rule (configuration)

looks like we agree!

f.