anna balint on Wed, 22 Aug 2001 21:13:01 +0200

FW: Syndicate: RE: Srebrenica

-----Original Message-----
From: saul ostrow [mailto:so5@nyu.edu]
Sent: 2001. augusztus 22. 13:38
To: epistolaris@freemail.hu
Cc: syndicate@eg-r.isp-eg.de
Subject: Re: Syndicate: RE: Srebrenica

Though I would hate to sound like an apologist for late corporate capital --
think that we must recognize to oppose globalization is not the same thing
as
opposing imperialism. As such we must also recognize the role that
nationalism
plays in the game of opposing globalization -- given globalization  is
inevitable -- that which has already happened can not be undone -- the issue
facing most of us is who will determine the conditions and terms of
globalism
and  what will be its benefits.  In this case of international  justice the
the
question is who  will write the laws and who will execute them is utmost
importance -- for as we all know questions of  justice and civility are
culturally constructed.  It is this that becomes the rub -- what will a
global
sense of justice entail -- for it to be merely formal would be an
injustice --
for if it to fails to recognize that we do not as yet  all live in the same
present politically, socially and culturally, it is merely the imposition of
G-8's values onto the rest of the world in order to make the world safe for
business rather than for  people