integer on Tue, 28 Aug 2001 21:16:07 +0200 (CEST)

[Syndicate] MR##!ZZc!!N#8"!!Ql!!

". G I D" <gkiers@xs4all.nl>

>Artificial brain brings food for thought

etvas thought food 4 your thought.
glial cells = much much much more numerous than neurons.

guess what +?

they like to play 222222222222222

>By GARRY BARKER
>TECHNOLOGY REPORTER
>Wednesday 26 January 2000
>
>Professor Hugo de Garis
>
>Professor Hugo de Garis, physicist, lately of Melbourne and now of Kyoto in
>Japan, fears that his experiments may ultimately lead to the extermination
>of the human race.

nn used to think that 2222222.
but then ... she began liking bodies

>fears that his experiments may ultimately lead to the extermination
>of the human race.

how will you spend your free time +?

>At the Kyoto Advanced Telecommunications Research Institute yesterday,
>Professor de Garis switched on a machine with which he will build the
>world's first neural circuits for a true artificial brain.
>
>In the next 12 to 15 months the cellular automata machine (CAM) in his
>laboratory will create a device composed of 75million silicon neurons,
>similar in capability to those in a human brain.
>
>The neuron networks are built up so that their connections are random, as
>they are in the human brain. Most of them fail in production and are
>discarded by a system based on Darwin's theory of evolution. Even so, the
>circuits are built, tested, accepted or rejected at blinding speed, many
>thousands every minute.
>
>When it is finished some time in 2001, this artificial brain or "artilect"
>will go into a four-legged robot called Robokitty.
>
>By then work will have begun on the next generation of the artificial brain
>which, Professor de Garis says, could be finished about 2007 and would have
>more than 10 billion neurons. This would bring it to about the level of a
>village idiot but within reach of the 23billion organic neurons contained in
>the cortex of a human male (19 billion in a female).
>
>Then comes the third generation, which Professor de Garis expects to be
>finished about 2011 - a fearsome creation of 1000billion neurons, vastly
>larger than that of a human.
>
>"By then," says this unconventional Australian, "I expect we'll be in a
>debate about whether we should proceed any further.
>
>"Long-term I am very worried about the political impact of brain building.
>
>"Since I am helping to pioneer this brain-building field, I feel a strong
>moral obligation to stimulate discussion on this enormous question. Do we
>allow the artificial intellects to take over or not?"
>
>Futurologists, such as the American computer engineer and author Ray
>Kurzweil, agree with him. While they themselves are riding and driving the
>technological revolution, they also see its scary side.
>
>A massively powerful artificial brain could easily develop contempt for its
>comparatively puny human makers, says Professor de Garis, who predicts that
>such a question could be this century's burning issue.

you mean like the contempt humans have for god +?

or wait... humans created god

so ... you mean like the contempt god has for humans +?

Professor deGaris - simply.employed

nn - this century's burning issue. [i am dressed in fire]