Andreas Broeckmann on Sat, 25 Jan 1997 16:30:53 +0100

The V2_East/Syndicate network after its first year

Dear friends and co-Syndicalists,

it's been just about a year since we first got together at the end of the
Next 5 Minutes conference here in Rotterdam to form this network. From the
30 people who met at that time, the number of people involved has gone up
to over 100. There are now people from 22 European countries in the
Syndicate network.

The Syndicate is a group of media art people, artists, writers, curators,
organisers, ..., who are committed to improving relations amongst each
other through exchanging information and ideas, and through initiating new
projects together. The bids that went out for the Kaleidoscope programme of
the European Commission, as well as the string of gatherings, workshops and
exhibition projects we hear about, are proof of the fact that this is
really working now.

This list is not an information or news service for media art, but a
communication channel which we use to stay in contact. (more information is
gathered on the V2_East website, www.v2.nl/east) The Syndicate is an
association of like-minded people, we are a syndicate. This means that the
growth of the group has been relatively slow, and that we want to keep it
like that.

On the other hand, there are still 'gaps' in our membership map, and you
should all think about people who should also be on our mailing list. As
you can see in the statistics below, there are no people from Italy,
Greece, Romania, Moldova, or Lithuania, to name but a few, and in other
countries there must be more people who would be interested in becoming
part of this network.

Please, think about who you know and who should become a member of the
Syndicate, too. You can either invite them yourself, or send me their
contact address and I will approach them. (Unfortunately, we are still
dependent on e-mail for staying in continuous contact, which is a problem
for people who have no access to the Internet. The best solution at the
moment is that we print and fax or mail stuff to those in off-line land,
and that we distribute the information that comes via the list locally.)

People can SUBSCRIBE themselves by sending a message to
<syndicate-request@aec.at> with the following text in the body of the
message: 'subscribe [email-address]'
You can also send an informal request to me, and I will subscribe them.

I hope that the network will continue to grow in quantity and in quality
and that it will help to foster the relations among the media art community
in Europe and beyond. Please, if you can, consider coming to the LEAF
meeting in Liverpool in April where we will next stick our heads together.
Plans are also being made for a smaller meeting in Croatia and Slovenia in
May, and in Linz during the Ars Electronica in September. Updates on those
meetings will hopefully follow soon.

Finally, please, post your news, announce your projects, and send texts and
discussion pieces, in order to stay in touch between those far more
enjoyable real-life meetings.

I hope to see you soon,

greetings from Rotterdam,

-andreas

Numbers of members of list 'syndicate' on Sat, 25 Jan 1997:
AUSTRIA (8)
BRITAIN (5)
BULGARIA (3)
CANADA (1)
CROATIA (3)
CZECH REPUBLIC (6)
ESTONIA (3)
FINLAND (2)
FRANCE (2)
GERMANY (10)
HUNGARY (6)
LATVIA (2)
MACEDONIA (3)
NETHERLANDS (15)
NORWAY (2)
POLAND (5)
RUSSIA (6)
SLOVAKIA (2)
SLOVENIA (6)
SPAIN (1)
SWEDEN (1)
UKRAINE (1)
USA (7)
YUGOSLAVIA (7)

V2_Organisatie * Andreas Broeckmann * abroeck@v2.nl
Eendrachtsstr.10 * NL-3012 XL Rotterdam * <www.v2.nl>
t.+31.10.4046427 * fx.4128562 * <www.v2.nl/east>
second leg: Pfluegerstr.27*12045 Berlin*+30-6233293