Rastko on Mon, 1 Sep 1997 08:36:48 +0100

Syndicate: Gordana / www - shirt

dear new friends from syndicate,

since not so long I am enjoying your correspondence.
it was very inspiring and exciting for me.
now I would like to let you know that you could see my web site:

"The Shirt of a Happy Man"
Multimedia and interactive artworks and projects 1989-1997

http://www.shirt.opennet.org

The site gives an overview on the installations, videos, performances and
the basic concepts of the works. They represent the search for correlation
and interactions between emotionally and mathematically defined spaces,
image and sound, varying that problem through different media.

I will bring more information about my work to the upcoming Ars
Electronica. Please contact me there if you are also coming and like to
know more about the works.

All the best from Belgrade,

Gordana

===============

P.S.
Here I will present you some text fragments you can find on the site:

ON ART
By Gordana Novakovic

That moment, when you face an empty canvas, or a sheet of paper, before
you draw the first line, is dramatic, esoteric, beautiful, difficult. It
is the moment when you must set forth, bring into alignment, and apply the
entire spiritual and physical measure of your inner essence, when you must
achieve the fullest concentration focused within you. The result is a
specific state of mind and body in the process of creative work. Such a
frame of mind, and my decision to deal with certain specific shapes,
colors, compositions, seemed to be fortuitous, incomprehensible, and
yet inevitable.
After a long period I have returned to the writings of Karl Gustav Jung. I
found there for the most part, a satisfactory explanation for my method of
work, as well as the theoretical framework for my artistic "credo." Now I
begin to understand why my forms are egg-shaped, spherical, or snakelike,
and that why is everything immersed into an atmosphere of water: of Sea.
Those are all universal symbols: archetypes. Symbols of alchemy, Taoism,
Christianity -- of universal Humanity.
I have also recognized my symbolism in the new contemplation of
theoretical physics (quantum mechanics). And I know that I did not select
these forms and compositions randomly and accidentally, in a moment of
propensity, but that there are profound and complex subconscious reasons.
I believe that our genes compile not only our biological experience, which
results in indescribably slow alterations, but that our spiritual sagacity
also builds sediments in our genetic code. I believe that the center of
the world truly exists in every human being, and that the duty of the
artist - and everyone else- is to search for their own center of the
world, by establishing the best possible communication with one's own mind
and body. That quest is an artistic process. The articulation of
one's own forms into eternal symbols is a matter of personal creativity,
imagination, and talent.

ON THE RELATIONSHIP OF ART AND THE NEW TECHNOLOGIES

The artist of today of course can not use the language of ancient forms.
His contemporaries simply would not be able to understand him.
The synthesis of pictures and sounds in the new media has created a new
glossary of symbols of artistic expression and has facilitated a more
complex interaction with the entire soul.