Andreas Broeckmann on Sun, 7 Sep 1997 09:47:43 +0100

Syndicate: an example of small scale funding

3.

Date: 8.5.97
From: philip.smith.southarts@artsfb.org.uk
Subject: Arts Council Funding

Arts Council of England
Visual Arts Department:
Small Grants for New Media

Artists resident outside of England are not eligible to apply.

Introduction

Small Grants for New Media is a new pilot scheme within the Photography
and New Media Publishing fund.

The scheme is being run by the Photography and New Media team in
collaboration with the Artists Film and Video and Architecture officers
in the Visual Arts Department. This collaboration has come about in
recognition of increasing and cross-overs in electronic works that using
still imagery, moving images and the creation of virtual environments.

Purpose of the Scheme

The Photography and New Media Publishing Fund has supported a number of
CD-ROM and internet projects over the past few years - with some notable
outcomes - and the main part of the scheme will continue to be open to
applications for electronic media projects.

While the larger sums available through the scheme encourage ambition in
scale, we recognise that the extended timescales, complex production
processes and the imperative to raise substantial income from sales
connected to larger projects do not always provide the best opportunity
for artists to experiment freely with the emerging formats, forms,
language and grammar of the new interactive media.

We wish therefore to offer a number of smaller grants to encourage the
production of original, experimental works using new media. We envisage
that projects will have relatively short production timescales, be
simply but innovatively packaged and, most importantly, will be making a
significant contribution to the development of interactive media as a
creative form in itself.

--> RHIZOME INTERNET

--> post: list@rhizome.com

--> questions: info@rhizome.com