transmedia on Tue, 4 Nov 1997 11:41:50 +0100

Syndicate: transmediale 98, Berlin, February 1998

transmediale 98
11th VideoFest
February 12 - 22, 1998
Podewil, Berlin, Germany

CALL FOR ENTRIES

>From February 12 - 22, 1998 the Podewil hosts the second transmediale and
>the eleventh VideoFest. Associated to the Berlin Film Festival, it will
>attract thousands of visitors and hundreds of accredited guests, thus
>making the Podewil an international meeting place for the creative talents
>in media. The festival will be organised by transmedia and Podewil, with
>support by the Senate of Berlin, the European Commission, and private
>sponsors.

Submitted may be works from the areas of video, computer animation,
television, films with digital parts and multimedia projects (CD-ROM, CD-I,
discs, cartrige, internet) which were produced since 1996. Works will be
considered for selection which are dealing with reality in an innovative
way, or those which aim at furthering their respective medium.

AWARDS
The transmediale will award three prices for outstanding works in the
fields of video, television and multimedia. Further awards will be donated
by sponsors.

Award holders in 1997 are:

Best Video-Installation: "Sieben Früchte vom Baum des ewigen Lebens" by
Rotraut Pape (D)
Best Video/TV-Production: "The Last Angel of History" by John Akomfrah (GB / D)
Best Multimedia -Project: the WWW-Site "jodi.org" by Joan Heemskerk and
Dirk Paesmans (E)
ProPublico Award (Post production worth 10.000.- DM): "Fake" by Sebastian
Peterson (D)

MEDIA ART INSTALLATIONS
The transmediale exhibits classic video-sculptures as well as space related
installations, based on interactive or networked systems. The transmediale
invites artists to exhibit but other interested parties may also submit
their proposals. We expressly desire entries for performance concepts.

FURTHER EVENTS
The presentation of works is one side of the transmediale. In a series of
special events the festival will reflect theoretical questions of media
art, especially the crossing of the borders between the different media
territories to that the whole event is dedicated.
Artists, companies, producers and educational institutions will be provided
with a platform to present their ideas, concepts and projects to a broad
audience. transmedia questions the philosophical and social effects
connected with technological developments and uses.

Focus 98
In 1998, a focal issue of the transmediale will be a "stock taking of
seeing". Renowned artists and experts will take into critical review the
past 30 years of video culture; in the field of computer animation and
multimedia it will present the state of the art, and in the television
section it will concentrate on outstanding stations and personalities of
german TV history.

DEADLINE: November 28, 1997

For further information, incl. all FORMAL REQUIREMENTS,
please, contact

"transmedia" <videofest@mediopolis.de>

Johannes Lenz-Hawliczek
transmedia Berlin