intim@ on Sat, 22 Nov 1997 21:57:43 +0000

Syndicate: Casa das Rosas

Casa das Rosas
<rosas37@dialdata.com.br>

WEB ART CONTEST - WINNERS
http://www.dialdata.com.br/casadasrosas/

1 - HQX - 156 by Jodi
     (Holand)
     http://www.jodi.org/100/hqx

2 - LandsBeyond by Thiago Celso
     Reeks (Brazil)
     http://www.distopia.com/LandsBeyond

3 - My Boyfriend Came Back From The
     War by Olia Lialina (Russia)
     http://www.design.ru/olialia/war/

jury:
Artur Lescher
Chris Locke
Maria Ercilia
Rachel Greene
Rejane Spitz
Sara Diamond

comments from Rachel Greene:
                  I very much liked the way Lands Beyond
                  explored idioms of urban web space, and the
                  simple language of buildings and construction.
                  LANDS BEYOND also references a Borges story
                  about a city wich exists in a version of an
                  Encyclopedia(but not in other versions). Its a very
                  nice reference , and appropiate, in particular, for
                  an internet that hosts so many virtual communities.
                  There was much delicacy in organization and detail.
                  And a nice sense of color. Finally, what I will
                  remember most about this project is that if provided
                  a cultural space, a virtual city, but no sense of
                  home. Of the other projects I enjoyed seeing Teo
                  Spiller's Tibet for the first time. It's a thougtful
                  piece but not so exciting. Also, ROVE was really
                  nice-committed to a simple idea - suggestive about
                  interaction, trace , and physics. I gave 7s to
                  Lialinas 2 pieces and to JODI. It is disappointing,
                  though that I knew all of these works already - they
                  are pehaps too wellknown and celebrated for me to
                  feel they merit so much money. I suggest next time
                  Casa das Rosas either requires that new works is
                  submitted, or offers less money to a greater number
                  of projects.