EMAF / Medienkunstfestival on Mon, 1 Dec 1997 22:07:25 +0100

Syndicate: emaf 1998

           EUROPEAN MEDIA ART FESTIVAL 1998
                   6-10th May 1998

You are warmly invited to send contributions to the eleventh
European Media Art Festival. An international forum for
contemporary media art, this festival will gather together
artists, theoreticians, journalists and a young engaged
public in Osnabrueck from 6 to 10 May 1998.

CALL FOR ENTRIES

Experimental and innovative works can be submitted on film,
video, CD-Rom and the Internet, as well as in the form of
installations or performance pieces.

The deadline for submissions is 2 March 1998.!!!!!!!!

We welcome contributions such as discussion topics and
essays on themes relating to specific media. Selected
contributions will be published in the festival catalogue
and on our web-site. At the festival a jury of film critics
will present the German Film Critics award for the best
German experimental film or video production of the year.

SPECIALS

The EMAF programme has been extended to include featured
artists, retrospectives and presentations on specific
countries. Hong Kong, South America and various countries of
Eastern Europe have been the subject of previous festivals.
The series will be continued in 1998 with a comprehensive
programme from Sweden.

RETROSPECTIVES

The subject of this year's presentation will be the films
and installations of West Coast filmmaker Pat O`Neill, whose
films are created on an optical printer, combining the
functions of camera and projector. O`Neill has developed and
perfected this tool for the manipulation of images since the
early 1970s. The results, which can often surprise, are a
combination of technically brilliant images and a new kind
of film language.

INTERNATIONAL STUDENT FORUM

The International Student Forum is an integral component of
EMAF, giving students from the various European film and
media colleges the chance to present their current
productions. An important focus is the exhibition of video
and computer installations. Students working in all fields
are invited to send in their current productions to the
festival!

INTER NET(Z)WERKE

The Virtual Festival Forum is a new EMAF project in which
new ways of exhibiting film, video and the digital media are
explored, and experiments are developed using the various
systems.

In co-operation with the Berlage Institut Amsterdam and the
Festival film+arc Graz, EMAF has organised Dialogue Spaces,
a project in which the new forms of communication provided
by the Internet are brought together with modern
architectural conceptualisations of real and virtual spaces.

Net-Culture

Projects, strategies, and constructions are the focus of the
symposium Net-Culture, which will throw light on current
artistic and philosophical developments in the media.

EXHIBITION 6th - 24th May, 1998

As in previous years the Kunsthalle Dominikanerkirche will
be central venue for the Electronic Cafe, the seminars and
the international exhibition of film, video and computer
installations. This newly renovated building offers an ideal
space for realisation of artistic concepts which span
sculpture, projection and networking.
For further information visit our website or contact:
( Applicationforms are available on our web site.)

European Media Art Festival
PO Box 1861
D-49008 Osnabrueck

Tel: 49/(0)541/ 21658
                25779
Fax: 49/(0)541/ 28327

email:emaf@bionic.zerberus.de

Internet:http://www.emaf.de

Festivalboard: Alfred Rotert
               Hermann Noering
               Ralf Sausmikat

Funding by: Niedersaechsisches Ministerium fuer Wissenschaft
            und Kultur; Hannover
            Stadt Osnabrueck
            Auswaertiges Amt, Bonn
            Bundesministerium fuer Bildung, Wissenschaft,
            Forschung und Technologie, Bonn
            European Commmission, Brussels
            and
            contributions made by other supporters
The EMAF is member of E.E.I.G. and E.C.F.F. the European
Coordination of Film Festivals.
## CrossPoint v3.02 ##
## CrossPoint v3.02 ##