Andreas Broeckmann on Sun, 21 Dec 1997 12:08:24 +0100

Syndicate: new V2_ publications

We would like to bring to your attention two books the V2_Organisation just
published: INTERFACING REALITIES and TECHNOMORPHICA.

For more information about the books and how to order them, please, check
http://www.v2.nl/publicaties/, or contact us on mailto:book@v2.nl.

Greetings,
-a

V2_Publication: Interfacing Realities

Are computer networks a virtual world, parallel to a 'real' world? Can a
superhighway be digital? Can a city be digital? Is the Internet nothing but
a huge collective mental projection, constructed with the aid of a large
number of (architectural) metaphors? If the answer to these questions is
affirmative, we - together with these authors - will have to address a
number of essential issues. What does this mean to the cities we inhabit
now? And if this technological extension of the urban space has so much,
'reality effect', are we willing to throw ourselves on the Net for
shopping, education and even to search for money and happiness? In the end,
will we have to metaphorize ourselves, with our bodies becoming nothing but
a protrusion of the screen?

The five authors Knowbotic Research, William J. Mitchell, Stephen Perrella,
Stacey Spiegel and Siegfried Zielinski wrote their texts in a procedure
proposed by the V2_Organisatie. The authors could read and comment on each
other's material via the Net in three consecutive rounds. Stefan MŸnker
moderated the proceedings and wrote the introduction.

The book is not a metaphor, but a machine that has caught a virus from the
Net. When used intensively the shape changes.

This publication is an initiative of V2_ resulting from DEAF95 (Dutch
Electronic Art Festival) that V2_ organized with Interfacing Realities as
its theme.

17x24cm, 72 pages, full color, bilingual (Dutch-English), retail price
about 17 dollars
ISBN 90 6617 183 9

V2_Publication: TechnoMorphica

Will technomorphization, the reorganization of the organic based on the
intelligent machine model, become the dominant model of our age? Has
evolution entered a technological-scientific phase where humans no longer
develop themselves in natural processes, but where the human body adapts
itself to the parameters of this technological era?

In this book fourteen authors give their views on this blurring of borders
and the fusion of the biological with the technological. Ideas about angels
and robots, about viruses and mad cows. A world where machines are
anthromorphized and where humans are technomorphized. And if only the glare
of our monitors is left to illuminate us, isn't it time to build a museum
for the sun?

The authors are:

Stelarc (AUS)                                    artist
Manuel De Landa (USA)                 writer
Knowbotic Research (D)                artists
Gerburg Treusch-Dieter (D)         sociologist
Wim Nijenhuis (NL)                          urban developer
Mark Dery (USA)                            cultural critic
Lars Spuybroek/NOX (NL)            architect
Humbert Maturana (RCH)            biologist
Kerstin Dautenhahn (D)                Artificial Life researcher
Detlef Linke (D)                                neurosurgeon
Stefaan Decostere (B)                   television producer
Louis Bec (F)                         fabulatoire Artificial Life researcher
Jozef Keulartz (NL)                        environmentalist
Paul Virilio (F)                                   urban developer

16x23cm, 386 pages, illustrations in full color (192 pages) , bilingual
(Dutch-English), retail price about 23 dollars
ISBN 90 6617 190 1

to order, contact:

                                 V2_Archief

mailaddress: Postbus 19049           shopaddress: Eendrachtsstraat 10
             3001 BA  Rotterdam                   3012 XL  Rotterdam
             The Netherlands                      The Netherlands

                            T: +31.10.404 6427
                            F: +31.10.412 8562
                            e-mail: peterd@v2.nl
                            VAT: NL 96.89.102.B.01