Marta Smolikova on Mon, 23 Mar 1998 19:11:58 +0100

Syndicate: (Fwd) Showcase of new Japanese Cinema in Prague

 _________________________
Prague Indies Productions
presents
JAPON FILM @ PRAGUE. CZ
A showcase of new Japanese cinema
Prague, May 21st - 24th, 1998

FACTSHEET

CONCEPT:
	Established to become the ultimate annual European showcase of new
Japanese 	film releases - especially highlighting popular independents
films from the Sundance 	Film Festival in Tokyo, as well as so-called
"Japanimation" films

PLACE:	Lucerna Cinema

DATE:		May 21st - 24th, 1998

ORGANIZER:
	Prague Indies Productions & Multikino 93

FAVORABLE  PRECONDITIONS:
 Resurgence in the profile of Japanese cinema worldwide
	(especially due to the success of "Unagi", "Hana-bi", & "Shall We
Dance?"
	at Cannes, Venice, & Rotterdamm 1997 film festivals).
 Winter Olympic Games in Nagano & the growing interest abroad in
Japanese culture.
 Enthusiastic response to theJapanese film,  "Close Your Eyes& Hold
Me", at our 1997 Prague Indies Film Festival.
 Growing fascination among younger Europeans in "Japanimation"

AIM OF THE FESTIVAL:
 To make Japanese films more popular in Europe.
 To promote the sale of Japanese films to European cinema and TV
distributors.
 To further enhance the image of Japanese culture abroad.

FESTIVAL PROGRAM:
 Approximately 26 feature films (all to be subtitled in English &
simultaneously   translated into Czech) belonging to the following 3
major categories:

	I) New Independent Films (approx. 10)

	     	Tentative selections to-date (courtesy of Sundance Film Festival
in Tokyo):
		"Shall We Dance?" & "Sumo Do, Sumo Don't"  Masayuki Suo
		"Focus" Isaka Satoshi
		"Tokyo Fist"  Shinya Tsukamoto
		"Mr. P's Dancing Sushi Bar" Hirotaka Tashiro
		"Two Women Talking"  Isshin Inudo
		"Postman Blues"  Sabu

	II) New Studio Films (approx. 8)

		Proposed selections to-date:
		"Tora-san to the Rescue" Yoji Yamada
		"Ghost in the Shell" (Animated)  Mamru Oshii
		"Monoke Hime" (Animated)  Hayao Miyazaki
		"Unagi"  Shohei Imamura
		"Hana-bi"  Beat Takeshii
		 .
	III) Classic Japanese Cinema (approx. 8)

		Proposed Retrospective of Yasuzo Masamura´s Films
		3 Godzilla films for a Saturday all-night screening

TARGET GROUPS:
	General group of movie-goers (12 - 99)
	VIPS:  festival guests & sponsors
	Cinema & TV distributors from all of Europe
	Print &TV film critics from all of Europe
	University & secondary school students
	Japanophiles
	Professional & amateur film-makers
	European & Japanese visitors to Prague

ADVERTISING:
	Cinema spots
	Municipal billboard posters
TV film programmes
	Invitations & flyers
	Festival catalogues & handbills
	Cinema posters & marquees
	Internet web-site
	Magazine & newspaper interviews and write-ups
	Radio spots
	Festival coverage on TV evening news
Two festival press conferences - one conference before & the other
during the festival.

EVENTS:
 Opening night presentation of the premiere of  "Shall We Dance?" by
the director Mr. Masazuki Suo & his leading lady, Mrs. Suo (nee Tamiyo
Kusamari). To be followed by a VIP reception with a live dance band at
Lucerna's Marble Hall for both sponsors, guests, & the press.
 After-screening discussions with filmmakers
 All-night screening (Saturday, May 23rd).
 Closing  Night Ceremony & Party.

INVITED FILM PERSONALITIES GUESTS:
 Masayuki Suo - director of "Shall We Dance"
 Mrs. Suo (nee Tamiyo Kusamari) - main actress in "Shall We Dance"
 Kyoko Daite -  virtual reality pop-icon

COOPERATING COMPANIES AND INSTITUTIONS:
Nissan Co. (CR), Japanese Embassy In Prague, City of Prague, JETRO,
Sundance Film Festival In Tokyo, UniJapan, Czech-Japan Association,
Japan-Czech Center, Miyabi Japanese Restaurant (Prague)

Festival Prague Indies
Jana Kralikova, Festival Director
Rooseveltova 45, 160 00 Prague 6, Czech Republic
tel/fax: ??420/2/24 31 41 35
e-mail: PragueIndies@hotmail.com

Marta Smolikova, Open Society Fund Praha
Arts and Culture Programs Coordinator
Staromestske namesti 22, 110 000 Prague 1, Czech Republic
tel: ++420/2/24 22 74 56, fax:++420/2/24 22 74 51
e-mail: marta.smolikova@ecn.cz, http://www.mia.cz/osf