Nigel Clark on Wed, 8 Jul 1998 05:00:38 +0100

Syndicate: climate change project

Hello

 My name is Nigel Clark, Iâ??m putting together a website project on
global climate change and interconnectivity - for which Iâ??m hoping to
get contributions from as many people on  (smaller) islands as
possible.  The people at  ISEA HQ suggested you might be able to help
circulate the proposal.  Ive included ncluded a longer and shorter
version - please
feel free to further abbreviate

any help much appreciated

--nigel

--------^---------------------------------------------^^----^^^^^^^----^-----------

Shrinking Worlds is a website project which will assemble work by
artists/writers from around the world who live on islands - to engage
with the theme of global climate change. Using the Internet as a medium
will draw attention  to the parallel between two forms of connectivity:
that of a complex communication system and an even more complex climatic

system.  The intention is to bring together the sort of visual images,
icons, stories or narrative fragments that might help island peoples
engage with the current global predicament.

The deadline for submissions is August 31, 1998: For further information

contact Nigel Clark <n.clark@auckland.ac.nz> or The Physics Room at
<physicsroom@physicsroom.org.nz>

--^-------------------------------------------^--^^---^^^^^--^-------

Shrinking Worlds
Islands and Global Climate Change: An Internet Arts Project

call for contributions

A huge question mark hangs over the world.  Have we changed the planetâ??s

weather systems?  Do we face a future of global warming, of sea level
changes, and an increase in cyclones and other weather extremes?  This
is of concern to everyone, but especially those who are surrounded by
sea.  How do people living on small islands and atolls feel about this
strange new future - a future which they may have had  little part  in
creating -- but must  live with on a daily basis?

Shrinking Worlds  will use the  Internet to bring together the thoughts,

images and words  of island peoples in a  time of global uncertainty.
To respond to climate change we must at the same time think about the
ways in which we are interconnected -  now and in the past.  While
global weather cycles and ocean currents draw the world into a single
integrated system,  electronic communication  offers another mode of
global interconnectedness - with the potential to overcome the isolation

that may be a part of island life in the modern world.

We are calling for contributions from artists and writers who live on
islands around the world:  works which say something about issues of
climate change - and the changing forms of interconnectivity in todayâ??s
world - and what this might mean to island people. The work  will be
displayed on the Shrinking Worlds  website.

The  work featured need not engage directly or explicitly with the
issues in question - it may approach them  from any angle.  Neither do
the works have to be complete and stand-alone.  Just as ecological
systems bring many small elements into a larger whole, so too do
communication networks enable fragments and strands to meet and fuse
into new forms.  New works are welcome - but so too can existing pieces
or sections of other works be put to new uses.  Alongside visual arts,
we are interested in poetry, song, prose and  sound pieces.  We are
hoping to provide a site where diverse works enter into new
conversations and exchanges.

Shrinking Worlds is being curated by Nigel Clark and administered by the

Physics Room.

We are relying on the circulation and display of this message to reach
people in places often bypassed by mainstream cultural flows and
exchanges, so please forward it to people or groups who may be
interested.  For further information contact Nigel Clark:  21 King
Street, Grey Lynn, Auckland, New Zealand, telephone: 64 9  378 4108,
< n.clark@auckland.ac.nz>

The deadline for submissions is August 31, 1998.

Nigel Clark is a sociologist who also works in the arts.  He lectures at
the University of Auckland.  The Physics Room
<http://www.physicsroom.org.nz/>  is a non-profit organization based in
Christchurch, Aotearoa/New Zealand which promotes links between the arts
and other critical areas of cultural production.  It receives major
funding from Creative New Zealand.