mike stubbs on Sat, 1 Aug 1998 22:59:12 +0000

Syndicate: ROOT 98 - LUCID

>Dear artist/ curator/ commissioner/ audeince / thinker / talker /
activist=20

>Please return brief answers these questions:

>What is the impact of the historic photographic document on the
construct of 'memory'?

>What role has mythology played in the documentation of historic
performance art?

>How do artists push a visual 'truth'?

>Inside gallery / outside gallery - different auduences?

>How are issues of race, gender, class or other identifiying groupings
effected by the mediated image?

>How does 'art' research relate to 'science' research?

>Does the development of a digital visual language effect our
neurological language?

>Is technology socially 'enabling' or disabling'?

>What role does the commissioner / curator/ artist have in developing
discourse with wider audiences?

<bold>>all replies will be published

</bold>>

>We would like to invite you to the ROOT festival 9th - 12th October 98
to discuss further these issues - your practice, art, politics  or the
relationship of new technology to the development of a visual
'language' - informed by the discovery of photography, film and the
emerging technologies surrounding networks and VR.

>>ROOT (Running Out of Time) is an annual event in Hull, UK which
attracts huge art and non art audeinces. A festival of live art,
digital work, film and video, interventions, discussion, argument,
networking and parties. Each year takes  a theme (Civil Liberty and
Civic Pride; Nomad Territories; Skint...)

<bold>>ROOT 98 - Lucid - new ways of seeing

</bold>>>

>>In conjunction with Photo 98 -Uk Year of Photography and Electronic
Imge, HTBA has commissioned a number of new works for gallery and non
gallery sites - including work by:

>>Granular Synthesis

>>Perry Hoberman

>>Gina Czarnecki

>>Ann Whitehurst

>>Mongrel

>>Rebecca Cummins

>>Andy Hazell

>>Dan Harvey & Heather Ackroyd

>>Monster Creations

>>Peter Richards

>>Lisa Erdman

>>Chumpon Apisuk

>>Tapio Makela

>>Other artisits participating in the festival are:

>>Steve Mann

>>Julien Maire

>>Heinrich Luber

>>Sanja Ivekovic

>>Haley Newman

>>Demitri Launder

>>Caroyne Rye

>>Lotitia F

>>Kis Pal Sacbolcs

>>... if you don't know the work of these artists, or want to know more
contact HTBA.

>>Within this context we invite artists, curators, historians,
audiences etc, to debate a number of issues arising from the agenda:

>>we would like discussion to take place throughout the programme
rather than scheduling one single 'symposium day' - especally as many
of our speakers will make film screening presenations or deliver
performance lectures, or something digital.Or will make direct
reference to some of the art works in the festival.

>>Please let me know if you are intersted in coming over by return mail
so as I can forward more details, including accomodation etc.

>>We can then discuss details at a later date.

>>Provisional speakers include:

>>Martha Rosler

>>Monica Ross

>>Steve Mann

>>Sanja Ivekovic

>>Peter Zorn

>>Steve Bode

>>Daniela Zyman

>>Keiko Sei

>>HTBA is an artist run initiative on a tight budget but each year our
programme grows!

>>ROOT is a really good chance for serious and social exchange, good
art, good contacts.

>>We cannot offer funding but can help you find accomodation. If you
want a formal letter of invite to raise travel funding we are happy to
help.

> We are happy to host 'sub -meetings' at ROOT as we recognise that the
festival is a convenient place to meet other organisations. Please
write a short paragraph on what you want to discuss.  Just let us know
and we can publicise - call for papers or include you in our
publicity.

>>I hope you can come to Hull, and contribute!

>>ring me at HTBA  44 (0) 1482 216 446 or e mail for more info.

>>Do check the web site for previous festival details.

>>regards,

>Gillian Dyson

>Project Co-ordinator

>Mike Stubbs

>Director

>>"Out Of Time"

>>An HTBA publication on the artists interventions and strategies
commissioned by Hull Time Based Arts, including the work of:

-

-

-

>>Hull Time Based Arts is Northern England's combined arts development

>>agency and one of Europe's leading commissioners of performance and

>>new technology art, supporting the development of innovative new
work

>>through it's Avidlab digital imaging suite, exhibition, education

>>projects, touring programme, technical and curatorial advice.

102 Blenheim st

Hull

HU5 3PS

tel/fx; 44 (0)1482 492172