{ brad brace } on Sat, 19 Sep 1998 17:44:36 +0100

Re: Syndicate: Prix Ars .Net Judging Article

On Sat, 19 Sep 1998, Andreas Broeckmann wrote:

> { brad brace } <bbrace@wired.com>:
>
> >Why oh why must we have to resort to tired art-as-research-about-art-tech
> >justifications...
> >
> >                                    "... Immediately dismissed were the
> >"self-servers," sites that de Kerckhove described as having a
> >                                     photograph of the artist on the home
> >page or sites that contained every project the creator had
> >          produced. [...]
> >
> >These "self-server" sites are the essence of art-on-the-net!
>
> dear brad,
> if they are the essence, then that explains the sorry state of much of
> online art. (and i'd challenge you to give a number of URLs of sites that
> have the artists portrait on the first page and that are good art sites.)
> there are, however, plenty of other sites that do not fit the
> characterisation which derrick dK gives; what he was - in my eyes, quite
> correctly - refering to is the problem that the jury cannot judge the
> entire oeuvre of a net artist, but has to be given a chance to look at a
> single project only.

Andreas, they're the "essence" in the sense that they locate the impetus
of independent online creative distribution, and not content to merely
tag-along-behind and emulate technological theory keywords. And how is it,
that we recreate online the absurdities of "contests," "grants,"  and
"inbred collegiality?" BTW, do access my site and see the artist standing
on his own front porch!

The_12hr-ISBN-JPEG_Project                    since 1994 <<<

> serial                ftp://ftp.wco.com/pub/users/bbrace <
> eccentric             ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/bb/bbrace <
> continuous           ftp://ftp.teleport.com/users/bbrace <
> hypermodern         ftp://ftp.rdrop.com/pub/users/bbrace <
> imagery online   ftp://ftp.pacifier.com/pub/users/bbrace <

Usenet-news: alt.binaries.pictures.12hr/ a.b.p.fine-art.misc
Mailing-list: listserv@netcom.com / subscribe 12hr-isbn-jpeg
Reverse Solidus: http://www.teleport.com/~bbrace/bbrace.html

{ brad brace }  <<<< bbrace@netcom.com >>>>  ~finger for pgp