Aleksandar Davic on Thu, 8 Oct 1998 17:06:46 +0100

Syndicate: proclamation/united youth belgrade

for any comments, please

mail to:kriza@classroom.opennet.org

UNITED YOUTH

AGAINST bombing
        FOR implementation of the UN Resolution
AGAINST violence
        FOR compromise
AGAINST isolation and pauperization
        FOR economic and social prosperity

                        PROCLAMATION

Coming to the power, today's regime used Kosovo crisis to inflame
the lowest national feelings which, in addition to other effects,
resulted in the break of former Yugoslavia, wars on its' territory,
pauperization of citizens and enrichment of new people in power
and their allies.

For the whole decade, our country refused to solve the problem of
Kosovo. Moreover, the police oppression and incapability of the
officials to initiate essential problem solving resulted in armored
rebellion of Kosovo Albanians. As a reply to this violence, in
order to stop it, the police sometimes used brutal and excessive
measures. Innocent civilians from both sides were the ones to
suffer the most in this clash.

Consequently, NATO is threatening with air strikes and the
culmination of Kosovo crisis is before us. Facing the possibility
of military intervention, we stand before crucial moments for our
society.

We plead against bombing because:

- we are afraid for lives of our citizens and fear consequences of
destruction caused by bombing;

- we feel that bombing, as means, is not a proper way to achieve
political goals, as it can only result in new violence and possible
spreading of crisis to the whole region;

- it introduces the principle of collective guilt, thus punishing
the whole nation instead of introducing sanctions aimed personally
against those in power;

- we feel that air strikes against Yugoslavia would not result in
democratization of the society. To the contrary, in the long run
they would ruin every democratic potential in Serbia, and discredit
reforming policy of authorities in power in Montenegro.

- we are of the opinion that bombing of Serbia would result in
bigger radicalization and radicalism would obtain the grounds for
theories of conspiracy we are subjected to for years, which help
them govern in the name of their own personal interests. The threat
by the Serbian Government that it would deal with its' "disobedient"
citizens already points to this.

We demand that authorities in Serbia and Yugoslavia meet the
requirements of the UN Security Council Resolution No. 1199.
We expect the same from the political leaders of Kosovo Albanians. The
Resolution requires not more then:

- immediate cessation of all actions by the security forces and
terrorist actions of armored groups of Albanians;

- withdrawal of security units used for civilian repression and
condemnation of terrorist actions by the Kosovo Albanian leadership;

- immediate meaningful dialogue and political solution to the issue
of Kosovo;

We remind that all this has already been accepted by
Milosevic-Yeltsin agreement.

We oppose bombing and demand satisfaction of the UN Resolution
requirements. In addition, we also demand that Serbia takes firm
step towards economic and social prosperity, with cooperation with
the world.

It goes without saying that the prime interest of the state is that
its' each citizen lives better, therefore we feel that our actions
and demands present the highest and responsible patriotism.

UNITED YOUTH
United Youth is newly created movement which gathers activists with
different political stands, from a great number of youth and student
organizations from Serbia and Montenegro: Student Union, Student
Federation, Student Parliament, Anti-War Campaign, AEGEE, SKC of
Montenegro, European Youth Association of Serbia ...