Jaka Zeleznikar on Thu, 15 Oct 1998 12:02:12 +0100

Syndicate: SEAFair/Junction/

Hi!

I had a bad luck - suddenly electricity simply disappear
from my part of town. So I find my self thinking about
Seafair and net/web art with candle in my hand.

Quite stupid and funny situation actually.

So instead of long e-letter there will be only short summary
of my thoughts.

I was (and still am) really happy to be in Skopje. I met
some really nice people there,
some from Syndicate, some from Skopje, and we had very good
time talking (and drinking) about art, life, internet,
theory of new media,... and of course about different
cultural/social background we came from.

I also liked the form of syndicate meeting - you go to
lecture and if you are interested then you can talk in more
intimate, private atmosphere.

About the way www-works were exhibited: it would be nice if
curators would ask net/www artist about the way they would
like to present their work. But I'm glad they don't because
I don't have any idea (I'm not doing installations after
all).

So far I've been to only two festivals (please feel free to
invite me somewhere or to send me a lot of money :) ). In
Maribor works were exhibited in student center  in huge
room. Quite some computers in a big circle like setting of
tables. This was OK because it had a cyber cafe touch. And
it was not in an art institution so there was a bit of
alternative touch.

You know how it was in Skopje. I like it also (OK, I don't
use sound). Works looked (especially for visitors not used
to this kind of art) more artistic. With a bit of ironic
touch (to display www art like the sculptures), which was
OK.

Maybe some curator could invite some installation artist who
could make exibition place for www-art. Maybe it already
did. I don't have much experience about this.

About the theory: I had this impression (not only from
Skopje) that theoreticians would like to cower all net art
(or interactive art) with the same theory. I think this is
impossible - I newer heard a theory (that would make sense
to me) that would cover poetry and architecture.
There are parts of interactive art more related to video or
to theater or poetry or...
I miss the theory that would cover only part of www-art.

End.
It's boring to type the same thing twice.

It's also boring to read same thing twice.
It's also boring to read same thing twice.

:)
Jaka

Jaka Zeleznikar
http://www.kiss.uni-lj.si/~k4ff0047