Inke Arns on Sat, 12 Dec 1998 18:44:11 +0100

Syndicate: [AFIB] Czech Anti-Fascists Under Attack

Subject: BOUNCE syndicate: Non-member submission from [Arm The Spirit
<ats@locust.etext.org>]
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 16:09:09 +0100
Subject: [AFIB] Czech Anti-Fascists Under Attack

        |||                                           |||
        |||             A  N  T  I  F  A              |||
        |||                                           |||
        |||   I  N  F  O  -  B  U  L  L  E  T  I  N   |||
        |||                   _____                   |||
        |||                                           |||
        |||  * News * Analysis * Research * Action *  |||
        |||                                           |||

                              *****

||/\|/\|/\|/\|/\|/\|/\|/\|/\|/\|/\|/\|/\|/\|/\|/\|/\|/\|/\||/\||
|| * -- ALERT  -- *  - December 10, 1998  -  * -- ALERT  -- * ||
||\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/||\/||

                           U R G E N T
                            A L E R T
                              _____

                 CZECH ANTI-FASCISTS UNDER ATTACK
             URGENT CALL FOR INTERNATIONAL SOLIDARITY

                           * FSA-IWA *
                             PO Box 5
                  15006 Praha 56, Czech Republic
                 E-mail: sam20uj@axpsu.fp.slu.cz
                     Tel: *42040)2-90006917
                 - Thursday, 10 December 1998 -

                              -----

 `FSA-IWA militant Michal Patera endangered by 25 year sentence'

          ANOTHER CZECH CLASS STRUGGLE ANARCHIST FRAMED!

                              * * *

     Friday, November 27th, a group of at least five Czech
neonazis physically attacked two FSA-IWA members in Prague club
"Campton". The attackers are well-known for their fascist
convictions. Most of them belong to hardcore of neonazi groupings
in Prague and are highly skilled in Asian martial arts. Our
comrades were attacked in the pub and taken by surprise by a
group of neonazis, who arrived after they were informed by one of
their sympathizers, that Michal was present there. Comrade S.V.
was knocked out after a short fight and Michal Patera alone had
to face concerted attack of five neonazis. After he received
several hard strokes, he was injured and subsequently shocked, it
had been clear, that this time neonazis want to physically
eliminate him. He had been cornered and in desperate situation he
used his legally owned automatic pistol. The most aggressive
fascist was shot three times and the others withdrew for a
moment. Michal quickly managed to find an escape route, but was
arrested shortly afterwards by the Police, alerted by the owner
of the pub.

     Michal and several of our comrades were already attacked by
the same neonazi combat group six months ago. That time they
avoided confrontation only thanks to the fact, that they were not
encircled.

     After a short Police investigation and consultation with
special Antiextremist Political Police Department, Michal was
accused of "attempted murder motivated by ideological conviction"
(paragraph 8 to paragraph 219 of Penal law). Next morning he was
sentenced by the district judge to "preliminary custody",
awaiting trial. The average time, spent in this "custody" before
the beginning of trial is 1 year. Police interpreted the whole
incident as "ideologically motivated" attempted murder, committed
by well known "leftist extremist" against a group of innocent
ordinary "young men". Michal is therefore endangered by a
sentence of 25 years in hardest type of prison. Not one of the
attacking neonazis face even some minor charges.

     Just to illustrate the strength of Czech neonazi movement,
on the same day, they organized one of their many meetings
combined with a festival of "white music". More than 10 neonazi
musical groups and 300 fascists attended the gig near Pilsen.
Assault Police troops did not intervene, although anti-Semitic
and fascist slogans were publicly shouted and fascists were the
giving nazi salute, which is a serious offense according to Czech
penal law. One month before, there happened that for the first
time since the 1930s, a fascist organization presented their
candidates in municipal elections. Members of the "Patriotic
Front" get more than 1% average vote, which means more than
50.000 people.

     According to Police information, there are at least 30.000
organized neonazis and active supporters of fascist ideology in
Czech republic, 3000 in Prague alone. The Prague group of FSA-IWA
has 10 members. According to the official statistics of the
Ministry of Interior Affairs, more than one third of policemen
are members or active sympathizers of neo-fascist, racist and
extreme nationalist organizations. Sympathy, cooperation and
often also direct complicity of numerous Police personnel with
neonazis is a well-known fact.

     Michal Patera is one of the most active and dedicated Czech
class struggle anarchists and active revolutionary antifascist.
Many times he has risked physical retaliation in direct actions
against neonazis and in the defense of anarchist movement. He is
editor of FSA newspaper "The Voice of Direct Action" and a very
active person on the field of international cooperation,
especially with the Eastern countries.

     SOLIDARITY AND SUPPORT IS URGENTLY NEEDED!

     The financial resources of the Czechoslovak anarchist
movement are exhausted after the campaign to support Vaclav Jez,
anarchist militant, jailed after nearly the same type of incident
in July 1997, which raised more than 70.000, CZK (equiv. to 2300
USD). Total costs of Vaclav's defense are by the way estimated to
be higher than 130.000 CZK (4300 USD). It means almost 20 average
monthly worker wages, which are ridiculously low in comparison
with living costs and mostly are not enough to provide us with
sufficient and decent living standard. We are not able to collect
this sum again in such a short time.

     It is absolutely indispensable for Michal Patera to have
good defense lawyer, because the Police and capitalist (In)
Justice are biased. Costs shall be approximately the same as in
the case of Vaclav Jez. The pattern of both cases is absolutely
the same. A neonazi combat group attacks a well-known anarchist
and antifascist in order to physically eliminate him. Our
comrades manage to save their lives only by the use of firearms
and are subsequently jailed and framed.

     We ask all revolutionary antifascists and anarchists all
over the world to support our imprisoned comrade. We,
Czechoslovak class struggle anarchists and revolutionary
antifascists, are under constant and terrible duress of a growing
and very aggressive neonazi movement. Direct cooperation and
complicity of Police officers with neonazis is a well known fact.

     We are in desperate situation and we cannot manage the whole
problem without efficient international solidarity. We received
in fact absolutely no solidarity help from abroad in defending
Vaclav Jez, whose case was reported in many foreign anarchist
newspapers including the Black Flag, Direkte Aktion etc. We
cannot go on like this, because at this moment we have no
resources.

     FSA-IWA Prague group coordinates the Michal defense
     campaign. Please:

   * write letters of solidarity to Michal

   * send letters of protest to your local Czech embassy (Demand
     the release of Michal Patera (born 1976), arrested 27.11. in
     Prague and accused of paragraph 8/1 to paragraph 219 from
     preliminary custody and subsequent dropping of charges,
     because he was brutally attacked for his antifascist and
     anarchist convictions and used his gun in the act of
     legitimate self-defense)

   * organize protest pickets

   * ORGANIZE BENEFIT GIGS AND COLLECTIONS TO RAISE MONEY FOR
     MICHAL'S DEFENSE FUND spread this information worldwide

     Michal's prison address:

     Michal Patera (1976), PO BOX 5, 14057 Praha 4, Czech
     Republic

     FSA-IWA Prague contacts:

     FSA Praha, PO BOX 5, 15006 Praha 56, Czech Republic
     Tel *42040)2-90006917 (FSA-IWA International secretary
     private number) Tel *42040)602-224747 (hotline) - Tel:
     *42040)602-828361 (alternative hotline) e-mail address for
     Michal's defense campaign: sam20uj@axpsu.fp.slu.cz

     IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Police often check and confiscate our
     mail, so please, use also the e-mail and phone contacts
     listed above.

     Workers Solidarity Alliance - Libertarian Book Club
     Neither East Nor West -> //flag.blackened.net/agony

                  * VIA A-INFOS NEWS SERVICE *
                     E-mail: a-infos@tao.ca
                    Web: http://www.ainfos.ca
                  - Thursday, 10 December 1998 -
                    Source: wsany@hotmail.com

                              * * *

                    ANTIFA INFO-BULLETIN (AFIB)
                        750 La Playa # 730
                  San Francisco, California 94121
                     E-Mail: tburghardt@igc.org

                                *

     On PeaceNet visit ANTIFA INFO-BULLETIN on pol.right.antifa
     Via the Web  --> http://burn.ucsd.edu/~aff/afib.html
     Archive --> http://burn.ucsd.edu/~aff/afib-bulletins.html

                                *

                     ANTI-FASCIST FORUM (AFF)
     Antifa Info-Bulletin is a member of the Anti-Fascist Forum
     network. AFF is an info-group which collects and
     disseminates information, research and analysis on fascist
     activity and anti-fascist resistance. More info:
                    E-mail: aff@burn.ucsd.edu
                  Web: http://burn.ucsd.edu/~aff

     Order our journal, ANTIFA FORUM, cutting-edge anti-fascist
     research and analysis! 4 issues, $20. Write AFF, P.O. Box
     6326, Station A, Toronto, Ontario, M5W 1P7 Canada

     +:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+
     +:     * A N T I F A   I N F O - B U L L E T I N *       +:
     :+                                                       :+
     +:   * RESISTING FASCISM  *  BY ALL MEANS NECESSARY! *   +:
     +:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+

          ++++ stop the execution of Mumia Abu-Jamal ++++
   ++++ if you agree copy these 3 sentences in your own sig ++++
  ++++ see: http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/spg-l/sigaction.htm ++++

collective based in Toronto, Canada. Our focus includes a wide
variety of material, including political prisoners, national
liberation struggles, armed communist resistance, anti-fascism,
the fight against patriarchy, and more. We regularly publish our
writings, research, and translation materials on our listserv
called ATS-L. For more information, contact:

Arm The Spirit
P.O. Box 6326, Stn. A
Toronto, Ontario
M5W 1P7 Canada