urph the surf on Thu, 25 Feb 1999 01:35:51 -0500 (EST)

Re: Syndicate: Zizek: a bearded Eastern European intellectual

>The Independent (London)
>With a renaissance man's grasp of the world around him (as Slovenia
>"ambassador of science" he has developed an in-depth knowledge of quantum
>physics) and a journalist's eye for detail (he writes regularly in one of
>the national papers) Zizek's often contentious observations are usually
>rooted in hard evidence: "I spoke with a psychiatrist whose main
>customers are Microsoft people and she told me that they can take it for a
>couple of years then the job gets so suffocating they disappear. They move
>a little
>bit East, you know, towards those horrible states like Montana and Idaho
>and then become - how do you call them? - survivalists, extreme
>right-wing gangsters. They simply want to escape! They cannot stand it!"

Hey, watch it, buster. I'm from that horrible state Idaho and I'm no
extreme right-wing gangster. If you're going to make cultural
generalizations at least know who you're talking about. Jeesh!

Rob

ROBBIN MURPHY
robbin.murphy@nyu.edu
73 East Second Street #9, NYC 10003