Andreas Broeckmann on Tue, 30 Mar 1999 08:18:29 +0100

Syndicate: yugoslav universities & greek student protes

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 20:53:36 +0100 (BST)
From: "K.Patelis" <cop02kp@gold.ac.uk>

This came from Patras and Belgrade

--------------------

�õí�äåëöïé,

�áò óô�ëíù åðå�ãïõóá áíáêï�íùóç ôïõ �ñýôáíç ôïõ �áíåðéóôçì�ïõ ôïõ �åëéãñ
áä�ïõ
ãéá åíçì�ñùóç áëë� êáé ðñïâëçìáôéóìü ãéá ôï ðþò èá óõìðáñáóôáèïý
ìå.

Dear collegues,  i forward to you a mail snet by the dean of the
univeristy of
belgrade for yuour information as well as for thinking of how the academic
community might provide support

__________________

UNIVERSITY OF BELGRADE
Studentski trg 1, 11000 Belgrade, P.Box 122, tel.: (381-11) 635-153,
637-405, Fax: (381-11) 638-818

URGENT COMMUNICATION

We would like to inform the Yugoslav and international community that
the University of Belgrade has at this moment suspended its student
courses.

Our country is under attack, and its defense and freedom are our
priority!

The University of Belgrade strongly condemns non-provoked and
unjustifiable aggression on our country. The aggression brutally breaks
up entire principles of international law and human rights.

Just a few days ago, in an extremely dangerous moment for peace, we
called upon all the intellectuals worldwide to use all their capacities
to influence the masters of war, to recognize interests and rights for
freedom, for every country to maintain its sovereignty and integrity. We
emphasized then that Serbia and Yugoslavia are asking only for what is
guaranteed by the UN Charter and International Law: the integrity of the
sovereign country borders and the right for combat against terrorism and
secession in its own territory.

Our deep concern of the resurrected fascist aggression, like the one
that initiated the Second World War, was real. As you know, on March 24,
1999, the NATO forces of the countries UN members, breaking every single
rule of international law, committed aggression upon our country, which
is one of the UN founders.

Is it really necessary to prove to anyone that the justice is on our
side, that we have our rights, like any other people - to live, to be
free, to have our county and its sovereignty.

At the same time, we have also to express our utter astonishment with
the passive attitude of the intellectuals worldwide. They did not raise
their voice against this crime yet.

What happens to us, Serbia and Yugoslavia, today, will happen to others
if it does not stop in time.

Those who would not care about victims they cause, would end as
criminals of war. As you probably know, there are numerous innocent
victims, a lot of them children and women, and the strikes caused
enormous losses. A small, freedom-loving European country has been
attacked. Its people are ready to defend its independence and
sovereignty in its whole territory.

We are aware of the fact that Kosovo and Metohia are just the formal
excuse, while the real objective is to destroy Serbia and Yugoslavia.
Kosovo and Metohia are integral part of Serbia and Yugoslavia, and for
all their citizens, for all Serbs. Kosovo and Metohia are more precious
than their own lives.

Once again, we call upon all the intellectuals worldwide to raise their
voice and to use their influence to bring back reason.

We call upon our compatriots all over the world to take part and to
support as strongly as they can our combat for freedom, sovereignty and
territorial integrity of our country - Serbia and Yugoslavia.

We congratulate our citizens for their courage, tranquillity and
persistence to endure great sacrifice; The Yugoslav Army for its heroic
combat against many times more powerful enemy; The General Staff and its
Supreme Commander Mr. Slobodan Milosevic, with our full support to
achieve the final victory.

Sincerely,

Prof. Jagos Puric, Ph.D.

Rector