fwd wam kat on Tue, 6 Apr 1999 15:49:55 +0100

Syndicate: let the sunflowers blossom again (part 2) !!!!

Date:         Mon, 5 Apr 1999 17:19:19 +0200
From: wam kat <wam@MIR.ORG>

LET THE SUNFLOWERS BLOSSOM AGAIN !!!!
-------------------------------------

Part 2

Dear Friends,

INTRO
-----

Sorry again for those who expected already yesterday (sunday) a
private answer but on needed a small break. Yestersay I joined a
Easter marche here in Germany. And above all my postbox broke
yesterday due to all the emails which I recieved, since Friday already
over 300 emails came back within 48 hours, I am not able at the time
to read them all, but as far as I was able I noticed that all of them
were positiv and supporting me to continue this initiative. Therefor I
decided the take some time today (monday) and try to write a more
constructive mail to all of you. For those we are still wondering who
this strange wam is, behind this messages I will included a few
internet links in this message, where you be able to find background
information about who I am and what I have done. Furthermore I will
include in this message a small qoute from a speech held by the USA
Vice-President Al Gore a few years ago proofing the importance of the
internet and what kind of humanitarian initiatives can be established
by this medium.

Back to bussniss.....

THE PLAN
--------

As soon as the direct crisis in Macedonia and Albania is settled down
a bit, we will start to organise small international teams of
volunteers, up to 20 persons, who will go down to the area and life
for at least 3 weeks together with the refugees in the hopefull by
that time more and better established refugee camps in the area. At
this moment in time, when the situation is as chaotic as it is, it
makes only sence to go there if you are able to install the first
important basics which enable the refugees to stay alive. Unstructured
and organised international volunteers in the middle of this mass
wouldn't help much. Schelter, food, water and medicines are now the
most important things which have to be organised. And following the
news I have the feeling that the international big aid is getting on
its way.

In the weeks the situation will calm down a bit, the first panic like
now will be in a big under controll (I hope). At this moment that all
over the region more or less better settled refugee camps will be
there. I must admit that I believe that even when the war in Kosovo
will be over in the next weeks, I believe on basis from the news that
the refugees are able to return to their houses in Kosovo. If what we
hear is true lot's of town and villages are destroyed and first of all
have to be rebuilded before people are able at all to return. All this
time they will be waiting in their centers in Macedonia and Albania,
mostly months or even years, rather than weeks, but let us hope for
the best.

The experiences from "SunCokret" (Sunflower) in Croatia and Bosnia and
"My Neighbour" in Serbia in 1992 and following has shown how important
it will be that refugees at this moment wouldn't be left alone. Food
and shelter are one thing, the things in the mind are another almost
as important part of humanitarian aid. Bringing a bit of normality
into this situation, bringing normal people from all over the world,
helps a lot in breaking the spiral of thinking in fair, war and so on
all the time. It helps indeed a bit against the traumas which are
build up in this time of waiting.

OUR ACTIVITIES
--------------

Very simple, people will be going in small group into the refugee
centers as said for at least three weeks. During this time they
organise or help to organise first of all creative activities for the
children there. This can be a bit range of things, SunCokret started
with organising sport, children plays, music, theater until schools
and selforganised youth centers. Secondly activities for women, also
this can range from creative workshop, talkingsgroups, courses until
produktive units. And last but least activity for men, else than just
meeting places where they just talk about the missery in thier
country. Also here you may think in the direction of courses, when the
war is over their homes and towns have to be rebuilded and new infra
and economic structures have to be rebuilded.

THE OFFSPRING
-------------

International volunteers in a refugee centers is one thing, but it has
as we experienced some beautifull offsprings. All most volunteer, when
he or she returned home became a local, regional or national
contactperson for direct grassroot help towards the centers. In may
occassions in Croatia and Bosnia have shown how important this direct
contact were and how they could organised what big organisations
weren't able to.

Furtheron it help people all over the world to overcome their
situation of pasiveness, their frustrations about what is going on.
Each of us are able to help, at this moment the refugees in Albanian
and Macedonia are the worst victims of war, what ever you may think
and who is responsible for it. We should combine or power and so what
a united nations from below is able to get on its way.

Each of you is able to help, supporting this action or any other
actions which help this victims. Nobody is helped by trying to ban
this situation out of your mind. It is there and almost all of us are
direct and indirect involved in it.

WHAT HAVE TO BE DONE NOW !!!
----------------------------

OK I have taken the initiative, but I am sure that all of you are able
to understand that I am just a private person and for sure not able to
organise this all by myself. I am even not sure if I should be the
person to organise this. But from all the positive reactions I have
noticed that it can and should be done. At this moment it is important
to establish some where on the internet a coordination point, a point
were we have good and fast internet entrance, from where we can inform
all people around the net about this initaive. A bankaccount (please
not mine) to collect support for the first, and later costs of this
initiative. And a fast as possible contacts in Albaninan and
Macedonia, up to now I haven't established that, sorry.

Every idea how this all can be done in the next days are welcome. This
may should a bit naiv, but it is the reality, I am sorry. But I am
sure that we are able to do it. By the way when any of you have be
hearing from simular initiatives please spread the news, as said it is
important to combine or cooperate as much as possible.

Ofcourse I hope that other big humanitarian organisations like the
UNHCR or ICRC and others will suppport an action like this, like
happened with SunCokret 7 years ago, after they organised the first
activities in different refugee center. But I am sure it will happen
Mrs. Agata head from the UNHCR already mentioned today (Monday) that
the international communittee should not only think about food and
shelters, but als about activities for the children and alter
refugees.

WHY INTERNATIONAL
-----------------

You may be not agree with me, but I believe that situations like this
is asking for international, rather than national initiatives. In a
war, were natiolism was driven again to it ubsurdity are asking from
and trans national answer. The international cooperation and a real
international presents in the refugee centers will show that people
>from all over the world can work together. When we are able to
establish a kind of self organised united nations of below we can
again put a milestone in the internet, that we can be able to work
together, rather than fight over the net (the amount of war propaganda
and news on the wwww and flame wars in discussion groups is increased
in the last 4 years). Lets do something more constructive.

SPREAD THIS NEWS
----------------

Like my diary about 7 years ago was, without my knowledge, spreaded
around the world, also my first message from Saterday has been spread
around the world, lot's of people has send it to there friends and I
am glad that this happened and ask you again to mail, if you like it,
this appeal to your friends and those who think maybe can help to
realise this initiative. Rather this personal initiativ and contacts
are the main powers behind an action like this.

BY THE WAY "ASK NELSON MANDELA TO MEDIATE IN YUGOSLAVIA"

As said I don't where I have heard this idea first, but I am glad that
it went to the net so quickly. I'm happy to tell you that in the main
time a petation towards Nelson Mandela started on the internet, which
you can read and sign:
http://members.oal.com/gomandela/tothe/balkans.htm.

LAST BUT SURELY NOT LEAST
-------------------------

My deep respect are going to the people and the political leaders of
Macedonia and Albania, it is unbelieveble what such a refugees
explosion means for those two after all poorest countries of Europe.

THE QUOTE FROM AL GORE
----------------------

            Global Communications Interactive '97
            Vice President Al Gore
            on the Global Information Infrastructure
            Remarks by Vice President Al Gore to the
            International Telecommunications Union Development
            Conference in Buenos Aires, Argentina 21 March 1994
            I have come here, 8000 kilometres from my home, to ask you
to help
            create a Global Information Infrastructure. To explain
why, I want
            to begin by reading you something that I first read in
high school,
            30 years ago.
        .... -at the end of his speech...

            ....Global Network.

            It has brought us images of earthquakes in California, of
Boris
            Yeltsin on a tank in Red Square, of the effects of mortar
shells in
            Sarajevo and Somalia, of the fall of the Berlin Wall. It
has brought
            us images of war and peace, and tragedy and joy, in which
we all can
            share.
            There's a Dutch relief worker, Wam Kat, who has been
broadcasting an
            electronic diary from Zagreb for more than a year and a
half on the
            Internet, sharing his observations of life in Croatia.
            After reading Kat's Croatian diary, people around the
world began to
            send money for relief efforts. The result: 25 houses have
been
            rebuilt in a town destroyed by war.
            Governments didn't do this. People did. But such events
are the hope
            of the future.
            When I began proposing the GII in the U.S., I said that my
hope is
            that the United States, born in revolution, can lead the
way to this
            new, peaceful revolution. However, I believe we will reach
our goal
            faster and with greater certainty if we walk down that
path
            together. As Antonio Machado, Spanish poet, once said,
                "Pathwalker, there is no path, we create the path as
we walk."
            Let us build a global community in which the people of
neighbouring
            countries view each other not as potential enemies, but as
potential
            partners, as members of the same family in the vast,
increasingly
            interconnected human family.
            Let us seize this moment. Let us work to link the people
of the
            world. Let us create this new path as we walk it together.

            Al Gore was inaugurated as the 45th Vice President of the
United
            States on 20 January 1993. In this role he is actively
involved in a
            wide range of Clinton administration initiatives as well
as advising
            the President on foreign policy. Recognised as a leading
            environmental voice in Congress, Gore led the U.S.
Senate's
            delegation to the Earth Summit in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil,
in 1992.
            It was the world's largest ever gathering of heads of
state to focus
            on the environment. He is also a nationally recognised
leader on
            technology.
            Gore's Congressional career began in 1976 when he was
elected to the
            U.S. House of Representatives. He was elected to the U.S.
Senate in
            1984 and re-elected in 1990. A candidate for the
Democratic
            nomination for president in 1988, Gore won more than three
million
            votes and Democratic contests in seven states.

            | Introduction | Development | Technology | Geographical |
            | Global Communications Home Page |
            © Hanson Cooke Ltd,
            Jordan House, 47 Brunswick Place,
            London N1 6EB
            Tel: +44 (0) 171 750 5000 | Fax: +44 (00) 171 750 5010

INTER NETLINKS FROM AND ABOUT THE ZAGREB DIARY

www.foebud.org/texte/wam_kat/
www.envirolink.org/greens/b/gyil.old/msg00305.html
caq.com/MFF/ZTN_ComLnks.html
bi-node.teuto.de/art/TEXTE/zamir.html
www.hawkesbury.uws.edu.au/faculties/socialinq/humanities/Multimedia/ne
tcult/NetCult97/reader.html
strano.net/town/meeting/budapest/prog.htm">Programma
www.zerberus.de/texte/wam_kat/1995/95jan01.txt
206.251.6.116/geekgirl/002manga/witches.html
wwww.kaapeli.fi/raportit/rap1/julkaisu.htm
mediafilter.org/ZK/Conf/Conf_Email/December.29.1996.17.40.02
www.cdsp.neu.edu/info/students/marko/resources.html
aleph.pangea.org/intermed/slides/zamir.html
www.desk.nl/~nettime/zkp/zamir.txt
ftp.gwdg.de/pub/eff/Net_culture/Global_village/whole_world_talking.art
icle
www2.eff.org/pub/Privacy/Security/Crypto_misc/Digital_money/Crypto_mis
c/Computer_security/Hacking_cracking_phreaking/Legal/Jurisdiction_and_
sovereignty/whole_world_talking.article
www.tlnet.com.vn/It/BookOnLine/CuriousAboutTheInternet/cai03au.htm
www.spp.umich.edu/courses/744/misc.hyper.95/0012.html
web.urz.uni-heidelberg.de/AndereOrg/INET/h2/h2_2.htm
www.itu.int/itudoc/itu-d/wtdc/wtdc1994/speech/gore_e_8303.txt
english-www.hss.cmu.edu/cyber/al_gore.txt

MIR SADA

wam:-)