lisa haskel on Thu, 8 Apr 1999 12:39:33 +0000

Re: URGENT belgrade->budapest meeting / APEX news

Dear friends,

Perhaps like  a few others, I have been unfairly burdening
andreas with private mail about the proposed meeting in Budapest. So
here is what I sent to him yesterday, and a futher note on my
concerns.

My personal view is one of a few misgivings about the timing of this
meeting.  For some reason it brought to mind some principles for
dealing with mental illness !!!:(( ...  when in an acute, crisis
situation you have to manage day by day. Later you can evaluate and
plan for the future.

The past couple of weeks or so on the syndicate has revealed more
fissures than common purpose and this is not surprising under the
circumstances.  Some people have been hurt and upset by the
communication patterns and dynamics of the list.  This is also just a
tiny reflection of the situation we find ourselves in and therefore
also perhaps inevitable.  Meanwhile like many others I find that
syndicate and personal correspondence has been feeding local
activity in ways that have been very useful.  (I will write a london
report to the list later today).

The principle of the Belgrade meeting was to support our friends who
have remained in Yugoslavia and worked there these past few difficult
years.  I am not convinced that on  April 22nd these people will be
able to be with us, or even will want to.  If they are not with us, I
am not convinced that our meeting then will be able to address their
problems  much.

I have no idea how this current situation will play out over the
next weeks but I do know that, maybe in less acute form, it will be
with us for a very long time.  Our few friends will still be in
yugoslavia and the situation will not be pretty.  There will still be
many thousands of displaced people. I hope for chances when we can
work together again and even expand our activity -but  right now
even communication is difficult and in constant jeapody.  I wonder if
an April meeting is hasty and reactive rather than pro-active.  I
wonder if a meeting at this point might even be damaging.  However, a
little later -  june? -  I think that a syndicate gathering  will be
very, very useful. Could the funding be postponed?

As I said in my mail to Andreas, I do not want to criticise or
jeapodise others' wish to meet or Adele's and her colleagues best
efforts. Mine is a personal view and I would like to be told I am
wrong.  Maybe anyway it comes mostly from my sense of being stuck out
here on an island where a trip to Budapest feels like a big deal.

With very best wishes to all,

Lisa