Eric Kluitenberg on Mon, 26 Apr 1999 17:27:29 +0100

Syndicate: The Ultimate Propaganda Machin

Dear Syndicalists,

What follows here is a short and simple "manual" for constructing the
ultimate propaganda machine. I used this idea for some seminars on the
relationship between war, media and machines. Let me be clear as it may be
too much out of context otherwise: This is NOT meant to glorify the
propaganda method - it is rather a condensed analysis, made by some
sociologist (the source is mentioned at the end), of a famous forebearer
and it should be read as a ironic and sick statement, which has a sad truth
to it.

Awareness of the principles that this short "manual" outlines may help to
recognise propaganda strategies, and perhaps neutralise them to some
extent. I have been asked by many people to post this poisonous text, and
reluctantly I will do it. Please do not re-distribute this without this
short introduction.

May your machine be with you.
e.

--------------------------

The Ultimate Propaganda Machine

To construct the ultimate propaganda machine we need to know the basic
principles of effective propaganda and then apply them to our communication
and information media, in order to propagate our ideologies to the best of
our abilities.

Principle 1: Propagandists must have access to intelligence concerning
events and public opinion.

Principle 2: Propaganda must be planned and executed by only one authority.

Principle 3: The propaganda consequences of an action must be considered in
planning that action.

Principle 4: Propaganda must affect the enemy's policy and action.

Principle 5: Declassified, operational information must be available to
implement a propaganda campaign.

Principle 6: To be perceived, propaganda must evoke the interest of an
audience and must be transmitted through as attention-getting
communications medium.

Principle 7: Credibility alone must determine whether propaganda output
should be true or false.

Principle 8: The purpose, content, and effectiveness of enemy propaganda;
the strengths and effects of an exposé; and the nature of current
propaganda campaigns determine whether enemy propaganda should be ignored
or refuted.

Principle 9: Credibility, intelligence, and the possible effects of
communicating determine whether propaganda materials should be censored.

Principle 10: Material from enemy propaganda may be utilized in operations
when it helps diminish that enemy's prestige or lends support to the
propagandist's own objective.

Principle 11: Black rather than white propaganda must be employed when the
latter is less credible or produces undesirable affects.

Principle 12: Propaganda may be facilitated by leaders with prestige.

Principle 13: Propaganda must be carefully timed.

Principle 14: Propaganda must label events and people with distinctive
phrases or slogans

Principle 15: Propaganda to the home front must prevent the raising of
false hopes which can be blasted by future events.

Principle 16: Propaganda to the home front must create an optimum anxiety
level.

Principle 17: Propaganda to the home front must diminish the impact of
frustration.

Principle 18: Propaganda must facilitate the displacement of aggression by
specifying the targets for hatred.

Principle 19: Propaganda cannot immediately affect strong
counter-tendencies; instead it must offer some form of action or diversion,
or both. (1)

And never forget: "May the shining flame of our enthusiasm never be
extinguished. This flame alone gives light and warmth to the creative art
of modern political propaganda. Rising from the depths of the people, this
art must always descend back to it and find its power there. Power based on
guns may be a good thing; it is however, better and more gratifying to win
the heart of a people and to keep it." (2)

Notes:

(1) From: Leonard W. Doob, Goebbels' Principles of Propaganda, in: Robert
Jackall (ed.), Propaganda, Macmillan Press, London, 1995.
(2)  Goebbels always appealed to the heart - in the interest of
totalitarian propaganda. At the Nürenberg Party Convention of 1934 he
praised the 'art' of propaganda in these words.

 information and archive: http://www.v2.nl/east/