ichael . benson on Sat, 19 Jun 1999 20:10:21 +0000

Re: Syndicate: moral responsibility

Frederic:

> one sure thing, even if it does get better it will not validate the NATO
> bombings which is a downright shame on humanity. violence for the sake of
> demonstration of power.

If ever I've been in an unaccustomed place in the last few
months, it's been in that cold and disgusting place where use of
Western military power was actually -- *shudder* -- justified. But I
found myself, after a decade of living uncomfortably close to the
bloody disaster of the Wars for Greater Serbia -- a war that a
majority of the inhabitants of Serbia proper seemed to be entirely
unaware was happening at all -- with no other choice. Because nobody,
I mean nobody, else could come to the aid of yet more victims of yet
another ethnic cleansing campaign. Designed exclusively to further
cement Slobodan Milosevic's vampiric grip on the neck of Serbia.

The miracle is that they actually *did.* You can bet that the people
of the Republic of Bosnia -- you know, the with Sarajevo as
its capital -- are blinking in a kind of regretful, disgusted
astonishment. Have you heard of Sarajevo, Frederic?

So tell me, Frederic, what would you have had happen? Nothing, I
suppose? Or would you have suggested something original, like -- more
negotiations? While 500,000 people starved in the hills? And another
100,000 lived in camps? And all the military-age men were tortured to
death?

It's an honest question.

Michael Benson  <michael.benson@pristop.si>
<http://www.ljudmila.org/kinetikon/>