Ron Carraher on Tue, 29 Jun 1999 03:30:53 -0700

Re: Syndicate: Appropriations = Art Imitating Work

Kobe

The Agency Databank has a fine conceptual appeal.
For years I have doing Work disguised as Art. I used guise of art to
dignify what was basically any activity which I hoped would make me
money. Without some minute future hope of monetary reward...all pretense
of art might have ceased; however, the Art-as-Work somehow
worked...(interesting that artists like to use this word "work" as a
substitute for art. "Does this piece of art work?"
And then there is the "work of art". An artist is being successful when
s/he can live off of their art and not have to work.

We might look through the other end of the telescope. An inverse law. Art
imitating life?
As I face the process of making art each day...I often procrastinate and
distract myself with little pieces of work...wash the dishes...fix a
broken door...anything to keep from facing artmaking.

Perhaps there is a dopplegänger for the Agency. It would be a databank
WORK...the things artists do to avoid making their art.

Ron Carraher
Simpleton Foundation
Seattle  WA   USA