MediaArtLab of SCCA, Moscow on Wed, 7 Jul 1999 16:37:32 +0400

Syndicate: CATALOGUE-RESEARCH "Data-trash" & "Trash-art"

CALL FOR CONTRIBUTIONS!!!Dear friends,After the DA-DA-Net
festival of Russian information resources concerning contemporary art and
culture and the Trash-Art international net festival of art projects (SCCA,
Moscow) had been finished, we started to work at the bilingual catalogue and
CD-ROM of the projects-winners and nominations. In the catalogue with an aid of
media theorists and practitioners, historians of art and culture, artists,
critics, curators, writers we intend to present a topological cut of the problem
examined within the framework of both of the festivals: DATA-TRASH AS A
CONDITION OF CONTEMPORARY CULTURE AND TRASH-ART AS A CONDITION OF CONTEMPORARY
ART.We'll be grateful to everyone who shall wish to contribute to the
festivals' catalogue, which aim to present the results of collective research.
The structure of the catalogue has already been developed and is described in
what follows. We' ll be thankful for all suggestions and additions you mat have.
We shall accept all essays, which have been written especially for the catalogue
or were published before (with the agreement of the publisher).
What does DATA-TRASH imply?
Today the concept of "data-trash" became the approved term that
stands for the information dumps in the Internet, that often also include
culture resources. One of the global tasks of the festival is to extract the Ñ?ontemporary culture
resources from these data-trash and to prevent its disappearance there.

Today the concepts of "trash & trash-art" have rather broad
meanings. Our task is to confine them to the categories that would conform to
the new tendencies in ideology and culture. For us "trash" stands for
the positive radicalism in art, technology and forms of communication. Our
festival is the search for materials and criteria. The interaction of art and
technology frames the conception, within the festival is working. Communication
within this frame can be represented as a form of art as well as a form of
technology.
CATALOGUE-RESEARCH"Data-trash" &
"Trash-art"0. INTRODUCTION:The catalogue curators Alexey
Isaev & Olga Shishko will present basic ideas, concepts and goals of the
festivals, summarise the results and attempt to examine the prospects of the
future development of the project.1. DATA-TRASH AS A CONDITION OF
CONTEMPORARY CULTUREThis chapter is devoted to the interaction between the
traditional and new media cultures, how the former is assimilated by the new
information space and what strategies might be effective in sorting out the
cultural dumps in the Internet.
Subjects:- Contemporary culture. Tradition and innovation within the
context of the new information technology.- "Data-trash"
theory.- Tradition and tendencies: culture in the new information space
- "Language" of culture and "language" of technology. The
problem of discursive practices: interrelationships, differences, lost
links.- Utopian theories and data-trash.Supplement: materials of the
round table "Is the Internet a problem for Russian culture?"organised
within the frames of the DA-DA-Net festival in the SCCA, Moscow.2. DATA
TRASH AS A STATE OF CONTEMPORARY ART.- Trash aesthetics in contemporary
art.- Artist and technology. Media activity of contemporary art.-
Expropriation of technologies.- New forms of manipulation. Virus and trash
aesthetics, lowtech in the Internet.
3. UTOPIAS AND TECHNOLOGIES. MUTATIONS IN TECHNOLOGY AND ART.Here
we'll present art and non-art projects, whose authors explore and play with the
above problems and whose thinking and art strategies coincide with the trash art
aesthetics. We distinguished between the three categories of possible Internet
and art startegies.
- ATTACK: DIGITAL REVOLUTION-->>NET-CIVIL WAR-->>INFORMATION
TERRORISM- DEFENCE: PROTECTION TOOLS x LIFE RESOURCES GUARDING x CONTROL
OVERCULTURE RUBBISH DUMPS = MEDIA ECOLOGY4. Special
part.Festivals "DA-DA-Net" &
"TRASH-ART".Presentation of projects-winners. Interviews with
winners and members of the Jury.